Decision to cancel all TAPS socials for the year reversed

TAPS team gathered for a “well-deserved” Christmas brunch, says AMS Vice-President (Operations) Dave Walker

Image by: Blake Canning
In September

On Dec. 4, the AMS Pub Services (TAPS) ended a tumultuous semester for their service on a high note — with a reversal of a previous AMS Board decision, which cancelled any socials for the year, and what Vice President (Operations) Dave Walker called a “well-deserved” afternoon.

Back in September, after the service drew controversial attention for a training week scavenger hunt that left two students hospitalized, the AMS Board of Directors took immediate sanctions against TAPS.

These actions included canceling all TAPS socials for the rest of the year, and requesting an in-depth look at the drinking culture within the service. Originally, the Board also intended to close TAPS services during Homecoming and Frost Week, however that decision was reversed following backlash from students and alumni.

Writing to The Journal, Walker explained that the decision to grant TAPS a social at Porstmouth Harbour on Sunday was made under certain restrictions — managers weren’t allowed to provide staff members with any alcohol.

“I personally believed the management team had shown tremendous growth and deserved an end of semester event,” Walker wrote.

According to him, typically in the past the Christmas social had been held at night, but given the circumstances, he and his colleagues decided it would be best to hold it mid-day this year.

Walker also noted that the TAPS team had held other alcohol-free socials earlier in the semester, including a pumpkin carving event this fall. To ensure transparency between TAPS and the rest of the AMS, the executive team had put “approval measures” in place for such events.

“Given their commitment to work hard, participate in the TAPS Special Committee, and maintain a professional relationship with all those within the AMS, I believe they have shown what it takes to learn from your mistakes and to grow as a team,” Walker wrote.

Dave Walker, QP, Social, TAPS, The Underground