PhysEd program closure approved by Faculty Board

Closure process to continue during Senate Committee on Academic Development meeting on Feb. 8.

Journal file photo

At a meeting on Friday, Jan. 27, a proposal was approved that will effectively close the Bachelor of Physical and Health Education (BPHE) program at Queen’s, starting in the 2017-18 academic year.

In preparation for the closure, admissions were halted in March of 2016, before the closure proposal was first brought before the Faculty Board on October 28.

Interim Dean of Arts and Science Gordon Smith released a statement on Monday stating that the faculty undertook a considerable consultation process before making the decision.

“Recommending a program closure is never easy,” Smith wrote. “Students and alumni expressed fond memories of their time in Phys Ed at Queen’s while also demonstrating an understanding of the need for change.”

According to the Queen’s Gazette, the proposal is based primarily on the fact that the Phys Ed program overlaps considerably with Kinesiology. There are also far fewer opportunities for Phys Ed teachers and this has caused declining interest in Phys Ed programs throughout Canada.

Continuing the closure process, the proposal will be brought before the Senate Committee on Academic Development, who will be meeting on Feb. 8.