Kingston Police report domestic abuse occurred in library, police seen at Stauffer on Sunday evening

Kingston Police share domestic violence supports in response

Image supplied by: Journal file photo

On Sunday Feb. 5, at around 3:30 p.m. Kingston Police were noticed in Stauffer Library talking to library patrons.

In response to a request for information regarding the officers’ presence at Stauffer, Media Relations Officer Cameron Mack directed The Journal to KP’s Monday press release.

The press release describes an incident that occurred Sunday afternoon, in which witnesses at “a library” observed a 19-year-old male assault a female victim.

Mack was unable to confirm whether the incident occurred at Stauffer Library.

The press release went on to state that “witnesses observed the accused grab the victim by her forehead and slam the back of her head off the wall of the elevator.” The victim was identified in the release as the girlfriend of the accused and declined to provide KP with a statement.

However, based on witness testimonies of the incident and further KP investigation, officers learned of previous reports of verbal altercations between the victim and the accused — giving officers enough grounds to arrest the accused.

He was then transported to police headquarters where he was held to attend a bail hearing the following day, and was there charged with assault.

“In order to help protect the identity of the victim, we won’t be releasing information on her status as a student,” Mack wrote to The Journal on Monday morning, when asked to confirm whether the victim was a Queen’s student. The same applied to the accused.

“Queen’s security was aware of the issue and I suppose it’s up to them if they wish to release that information,” he wrote, adding that he wasn’t sure if the witnesses were students either.

Campus security declined to comment via Queen’s Communications, and suggested deferring any questions back to the Kingston Police. The police release, which contained two other reports of domestic violence within the city over the weekend, ended with a somber note.

“For those suffering domestic violence – no one has the right to abuse you,” it read. “Please do not hesitate to reach out to Kingston Police or some of the other valuable support services and resources in the Kingston area.”

arrest, domestic abuse, Kingston Police, Stauffer Library