News in Brief

Queen’s announces honorary degrees for graduation

Between May 30 and June 9, Queen’s will be granting honorary degrees to 9 individuals hailing from fields of academia, business, politics, science, and the arts.

Stephen J.R. Smith

Stephen Smith, who invested $50 million in business education at Queen’s in 2015, is a leading Canadian entrepreneur and leader in the financial services industry. He will receive his honorary degree on May 30.

Gururaj and Jaishree Deshpande

Gururaj and Jaishree are trustees of the Deshpande Foundation, which supports ecosystems that make significant contributions to entrepreneurship. They will receive their honorary degree on May 31.

Sir David Skegg

Sir David Skegg is a leading cancer researcher, epidemiologist, and public health physician at the University of Otago in New Zealand. He contributed to the establishment of the Matariki Network of Universities, a partnership that works to enhance research capabilities within postsecondary institutions. He will receive his honorary degree on June 2.

Lord John Alderdice

Lord John Alderdice, former leader of the Alliance Party of Northern Ireland, played a key role in peace negotiations forged by the 1998 Good Friday Agreement in Ireland. He went on to serve as the Speaker of the new Northern Ireland Assembly until his retirement in 2004. He will receive his honorary degree on June 5.

Frank McKenna

Frank McKenna, former Canadian Ambassador to the United States and former Premier of New Brunswick, currently holds the position of Deputy Chair of TD Bank Group, and also serves as Chairman of Brookfield Asset Management. He will receive his honorary degree on June 6.

Art McDonald

Art McDonald is a Queen’s professor in the Department of Physics, Engineering Physics and Astronomy. He and his colleagues received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2015 for their groundbreaking research regarding neutrinos. He will receive his degree on June 7.

Fredy Peccerelli

Fredy Peccerelli is a forensic anthropologist, human rights defender, and a founding member of the Forensic Anthropology Foundation of Guatemala. He will receive his honorary degree on June 8.