Principal Woolf updates Assembly on JDUC revitalization

Nov. 16 AMS Assembly recap

Image by: Ashley Quan

AMS Assembly convened on Nov. 16, beginning with updates on the upcoming JDUC revitalization and student involvement in the process. 

JDUC Update 

Assembly hosted Principal Daniel Woolf to discuss JDUC updates on behalf of the administration. 

“We’ve decided to, in essence take over the management of the project,” he said. “There will be broad consultation with students. I simply mean we will be putting resources forward, and probably a continuing project manager because it is unreasonable to expect a new executive every year to learn and relearn what doors to knock on and what buttons to push.” 

He indicated further funding was projected to be provided by donors, student fees and a “significant contribution” from the University, with exact values yet to be released. Woolf further predicted the project would take three to eight years tentatively and that the student portion would be paid over a 20-year period. 

Motions

Assembly passed motions for the creation of three new clubs: the Missoo Dance Club, Studio 013 and Queen’s Powerlifting and Olympic Weightlifting Club.  

AMS Secretariat Neil Sengupta also announced the resignation of AMS Chief Returning Officer Aaron Rosenstein on account of personal reasons. A motion was passed to create an election committee for Rosenstein’s replacement. Assembly voted for Concurrent Education Student Association President Liam Dowling and Engineering Society Sci ’19 rep Felic LeClair to stand on the committee. 

In light of Rector Elections set to take place next semester, AMS Assembly passed a motion to approve the new Rector spending limit of $400 to accommodate campaign costs. 

Reports 

In her report to Assembly, AMS President Jennifer Li directed focus to the new JDUC revitalization website which will provide updates on the project. Students are asked to answer a survey describing “what an accessible, inclusive, and modern JDUC looks like to them.” 

She added a town hall meeting was scheduled to take place in the lower ceilidh JDUC on Nov. 20 from 7 to 9 p.m. for any students interested in discussing the project further. 

“I encourage you all to come out to the Town Halls and information sessions,” Li said. “That’s how we are going to make a building meant for students and designed by students.” 

Commissioner of Social Issues Ramna Safeer announced in her written report to Assembly that Nov. 20 to 24 is Sexual Violence Awareness Week. The week is being hosted by the Bystander Intervention Training Program, Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator and the Mental Health Awareness Committee (MHAC). 

One event hosted by MHAC on Wednesday will feature keynote speaker Robin Doolittle. Doolittle is a reporter for the The Globe and Mail and author of the ‘Unfounded’ feature on sexual violence reporting. The event will be held on Nov. 22 at 6 p.m. in McLaughlin Hall. 

Safeer’s report also provided updates on the creation of a Black History Month Grant. The grant will be funded by the Social Issues Commission and Deputy Provost Teri Shearer equally, amounting to $5,000. It will be made available to Black student groups who are planning programming for Black History Month. 

AMS Assembly, JDUC, Principal Woolf