Kingston Police arrest armed man in University District

St. Lawrence College Certificate Program

Queen's Certificate in Law

Officers find weapons, drugs in local man’s vehicle

Just after 9 a.m. on Feb. 7, Kingston Police conducted “a high-risk takedown” of a man reported to have a firearm in the University District. Police charged the man with possession of a controlled substance.

According to a statement issued the next day, “a 20-year-old local man was arrested after police received information he was in possession of a handgun and suspected to be high on drugs.” 

“Police responded to the area of Mack Street and Albert Street and located the accused inside a vehicle. For officer and public safety, a high-risk takedown was performed and the accused was safely removed from the vehicle and arrested,” the statement continued. 

Police recovered a firearm inside the man’s vehicle, which was later found to be a replica Beretta BB gun. Officers also found a machete in the man’s backpack, along with “a quantity” of suspected crystal methamphetamine.

“The accused was taken to the hospital and once medically cleared he was transported to police headquarters and held to attend a bail hearing the following day,” the statement read.

After the incident took place, a video of the arrest was posted to a Facebook group. The video has since been taken down.