Stepping into spring in Kingston

Eight ways to embrace the warmer weather

Image supplied by: Photo illustration by Josh Granovsky
Springer Market Square.

As the school year comes to a close, you might be looking for some great ways to spend your final days in Kingston. Maybe you’re looking for ways to ramp up your summer stay in Kingston. Either way, we have you covered. 

Kingston Public Market in Springer Market Square

The Kingston Public Market is finally starting up again this month. The next time you take a walk downtown, be sure to stroll through the oldest market in Ontario. 

Showcasing local artisans and producers, this is the perfect place to spend a sunny spring afternoon. Pick up some homegrown local produce, a freshly baked loaf of bread or any other of the unique and exciting goods offered at the market. 

As of April 1, the market is up and running on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Get a jump-start on patio season

Let’s be real, everyone’s favourite season is patio season. 

As soon as the warmer weather hits, check out one of the many great patios sprinkled throughout Kingston like Lone Star, Amadeus or Pan Chancho. 

If you’re up for a little adventure, hop on the ferry and head over to the Wolfe Island Grill. This restaurant hosts a covered waterfront patio with a beautiful view of the lake and has outdoor heaters for those of you who are patio-ready before the temperature picks up.

Get outside

This one is easy — there are so many fun ways to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors in Kingston. 

The classic way would be to take a walk by the lake. Just head south of campus and enjoy the view and the breeze by the water or go a little further and check out Lake Ontario Park. There are plenty of paths for running or walking, a beautiful view of Lake Ontario, picnic benches and a beach if you’re ready to swim.

Run (or walk!) for a great cause

Tie up those running shoes and get ready, because there are a number of great road race events in Kingston this spring supporting a variety of causes. The biggest race is the Limestone Race Weekend which takes place on April 28-29. This race supports the KGH Trauma Program and Start2Finish, and has a 5K, 

10K or half-marathon option. 

Dwayne Gretzky does the 90s

Can’t get enough of #TBT? Then Dwayne Gretzy has you covered. 

On May 18, this Toronto-based group of artists will be covering 90s classics at Ale House. Tickets are now available online through the Ale House Facebook page for this blast from the past featuring the best music of all time.

Trivia nights

Whether you’re looking for a study break or want to test the knowledge you have ready for exams, take all that you’ve learned and a good group of friends and head to one of Kingston’s many trivia nights. 

Test your knowledge of the most random and seemingly unimportant facts to win an array of prizes, including eternal bragging rights. One to try is the Alibi, where you can get your trivia fix on Wednesdays and Sundays. 

Celebrate Earth Day 

Earth Day is coming up on Sunday, April 22 this year. Whether you want to hit up Belle Park for the 2018 Earth Day Kingston Celebration or do something on your own, this is a day to appreciate the planet we call home. 

Some great ways to celebrate include: starting a home garden, planting a tree, hosting a local clean-up, or inviting friends and family over for a meal cooked with locally sourced foods.

Whether you’re hoping to relax with friends or wanting get outside and enjoy the sun, Kingston in spring has lots to offer.

City of Kingston, Spring