News in Brief

Image supplied by: Journal file photo

Woolf announces appointment of two new senior administrators

On Apr. 2, Principal and Vice-Chancellor Woolf announced the appointment of the new Vice-Principal (Advancement) and Interim Vice-Principal (Research).

Karen Bertrand, ArtSci ’94, has been selected to succeed Tom Harris in the position of Vice-Principal (Advancement). Bertrand will join Queen’s administration from the University of Guelph where she has held the position of Associate Vice President, Major Gift Advancement, since 2014.

Bertrand told The Gazette, “I look forward to working collaboratively to build upon the extraordinary success of the recent Initiative Campaign, and inspire life-long relationships with and unprecedented support from alumni, benefactors, and volunteers.”

In addition, Kimberley Woodhouse has accepted a two-year appointment as Interim Vice-Principal (Research).  Dr. Woodhouse is currently a professor in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science, after having served as dean of the faculty from 2007-2017. Dr. Woodhouse will be succeeding John Fisher who has held the position since spring 2017.  

The appointment of both candidates was announced following their approval by the Queen’s Board of Trustees. They will begin their terms Jul. 1, 2018.

— Rachel Aiken

University to review Student Code of Conduct

Nearly two years have passed since amendments have been made to the Queen’s Student Code of Conduct. In light of the recent changes to provincial public policy, the university has been open to addressing various modifications of the Code. 

According to The Gazette, a modified Student Code of Conduct would encourage a diverse atmosphere, while contributing to an overall enhanced student experience. The amendments to the Code were introduced as a by-product of suggestions from the 2017 Principal’s Committee on Racism, Diversity, and Inclusion (PICRDI) report, the passage of the Sexual Violence and Harassment Action Plan Act (Bill 148) and the approval of the university’s Sexual Violence Policy. 

Preliminary features of the modifications include the clarification of behaviour which constitutes as non-academic misconduct, updated statements of harassment and discrimination, and an in-depth analysis examining the process of sexual violence complaints. 

The amendments to the Code, as well as public input will be reviewed by members of the Non-Academic Misconduct Subcommittee (NAMSC), as well as the subcommittee of the Board of Trustee’s Audit and Risk Committee. 

— Maddy Bendall

Principal Woolf, student code of conduct