A serial commuter’s guide to summer podcasts

Finding the perfect podcast for your warm weather commute

Image by: Tessa Warburton
Listening to podcasts on the bus.

The unfortunate truth about summer is despite the post-exam rush of freedom, it can be incredibly boring once summer jobs begins—especially if you are one of many students who will be commuting daily.

Whether you’re taking the subway, bus, car, or using your own two feet this summer, podcasts are the perfect way to keep you occupied and shake off feelings of wasted time.

If you’re a podcast lover, these six suggestions are sure to delight you. And if you’re not familiar with podcasts, download a few episodes anyways—anything to distract from the smell of hot sidewalk.

For a shorter commute: The Anthropocene Reviewed

If you’re lucky enough to have a short commute, the perfect podcast to help spice it up is author John Green’s new podcast, The Anthropocene Reviewed. Green, whose most famous novels include The Fault in our Stars and Paper Towns, plucks two different aspects out of mundane human life—like Canada geese or Diet Dr. Pepper—and reviews their usefulness in each episode.

While this may not immediately seem thrilling, Green’s reviews tend to come with fascinating backstories, hilarious anecdotes  and engaging philosophical takes on human life. Each episode runs approximately 20 minutes and is split into two halves, making it ideal for your blessedly short commute. 

For a longer commute: Armchair Expert

For an unfortunately long commute, actor Dax Shepard’s podcast Armchair Expert is a great reprieve from the boredom of your trip. Episodes are usually around two hours long, 

so say goodbye to the Spotify playlist you’ve played endlessly on repeat. The podcast features a different celebrity each episode, hosting everyone from Zach Braff to Katie Couric, to Shepard’s wife, Kristen Bell.

Shepard has a knack for getting his guests to share the intimate details of their lives, which is part of what makes the podcast so appealing. In my favourite episode, Ellen DeGeneres shares her experiences as a struggling comedian coming out as gay in the late 1990s. 

For the commute that needs a little more fun: Adult Sh1t

Everyone’s had an early morning or late night commute that could be brightened by a few laughs. If so—and if its name is any indication—Adult Sh1t might be the podcast for you. Hosted by BuzzFeed correspondents Kelsey Darragh and Kate Peterman, Adult Sh1t explores the intricacies of day-to-day life as a millennial woman. 

The hosts answer viewer questions, discuss their personal lives and give their unique takes on more serious topics including physical and mental health. With new episodes coming out every Thursday, Adult Sh1t will routinely make your fellow commuters doubt your sanity as you laugh maniacally to yourself.

For when you want your commute to feel productive: Hannahlyze This

Hosted by YouTube personality Hannah Hart, Hannahlyze This accurately advertises itself on iTunes as the “self-help podcast that just can’t help itself.” Hart is joined by her best friend Hannah Gelb, where the two discuss love, mental health and the quest for fulfillment. 

The hosts release a new podcast every Tuesday and often debate over or try things like laughter therapy, sensory deprivation tanks and self-help retreats. Listening to Hannahlyze This during your commute will satisfy your need for productivity, teach you about ways to care for yourself and assure you that you’re not alone. 

For when you want to block out your surroundings: Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations

If you want to forget that you’re commuting in the first place, check out Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations. Since July 2017, real-life goddess Oprah Winfrey has graced our ears with a podcast so good—so zen—you’ll be able to tune out even the loudest of street buzz. Similar to Armchair Expert, each episode sees Winfrey interview an A-List celebrity about their life experiences and provides enough impressively deep insights to keep you hooked. 

Long Commute, podcast, Travel