Strong season soured at nationals for golf team

Men’s and women’s golf miss cut in year-end event in Chilliwack, BC

Supplied by Jasmine Mussani

Headed into the Canadian University/College Golf Championships, men’s team captain Chris Murray held strong expectations for his team.

"We had a pretty good chance [and] I was confident in the team, I know everyone else was confident in themselves," Murray said.

Looking at the leaderboard on the final Sunday, the team’s optimism wasn’t seen in their results. The men’s and women’s team—who both picked up OUA silver medals this past
fall—both missed the cut at the yearly event held at Chilliwack Golf Club in Chilliwack, BC from May 29 to June 1.

Murray led the way for the men’s team with a score of +7, which placed him in 39 overall among all men and allowed him to make the cut for the final day. Meanwhile, Melissa
Ramnauth spearheaded the charge for the women’s team, finishing with a +24 final score—one that had her closely miss the final cut.

Murray said the men’s team’s performance wasn’t attributed to one or two people, but came as a culmination of poor showings throughout the weekend.

"Everyone seemed to have one day where they kind of struggled so it was hard to bounce back from that," he said.

Despite the disappointing end to the season, Murray and the men’s team were able to capture silver at this year’s OUA championships. The finish was the men’s team’s best since claiming silver at the 2011 OUA championships. They had finished in third place for the previous two years.

With numerous upper-year golfers graduating, Murray expects to see some fresh faces on the main roster for the 2018-19 season. Murray said he and his older counterparts have been working to make sure the Gaels have strong leadership for the coming years. Murray said they currently have immense faith in this group.

"The theme going forward is that it’s a new iteration of the team," Murray said. "What I can say for certain is that there’s a lot of potential going forward."

Meanwhile on the women’s side, team captain Robyn Campbell said the outing was hardly the performance they were hoping for, but still take pride in the OUA silver medal they clinched in the fall.

"We did the best we ever have. Everyone was a little more determined. I would also say the team was the closest it’s ever been—everyone wanted to win for each other," Campbell said of their OUA campaign.

"Unfortunately the results didn’t show through to nationals."

Unlike the men’s team, the women’s group will have the vast portion of their leading players returning for the 2018 season. Campbell, alongside teammates Melissa Ramnauth, Jasmine Mussani and Sierra Singh, will all be returning with their eyes set on another successful OUA championship season. The four women represented Queen’s at both OUA’s and nationals.

The weekend also marked the final tournament of Bert Kea’s career as head coach of the golf team. Kea decided to retire this year after 19 years at the helm. Currently, an application process for the head coach position is taking place.

"Despite how we played, it was a good end for him," Campbell said. "He didn’t get to go out to Vancouver with us last time so it was good for him to be able to come on this trip."

Murray concurred it was a unique experience to have Kea at the tournament and have him finish his career with them.

"He’s as committed as anybody," Murray said. "It was great to see him out there—pretty special."