There’s a club for that?

Groups on campus bound to spark your interest

Image supplied by: Photo supplied by Kaylee O'Meara
The Caledonias performing. 

Whether you’re an activist or an astronomer, university is more than lectures and tests.

With over 250 clubs to pick from, you’re not only your major—you’re a stage manager, a juggler or a poker champion. 

Clubs don’t just connect students to others with similar interests; they also offer a break from schoolwork, provide structure in your schedule, and give you valuable experience by helping you develop skills that can translate into your future career. 

So while you may be finished with course selection, there are still choices to be made. Keep reading if you’re on the hunt for a unique club to join.

For those singing alone in the shower

The Caledonias are the only all-female acapella group at Queen’s, allowing them to explore women’s empowerment through a shared love for music, both classic and contemporary.

For Kaylee O’Meara, ArtSci ’20, the Caledonias have been a home away from home since her very first audition. 

“With them I have found an invaluable sense of community while doing something we all love—singing!,” O’Meara said.  

While the major event of the year for the Caledonias is the Queen’s Intercollegiate Acapella Competition in March, you can also find them performing on campus and in the Kingston community at seasonal concerts, charity fundraisers, and Open Mic Nights at the Common Ground Coffeehouse.

For those who seek cultural connection

Queen’s Native Student Association (QNSA) welcomes anyone, regardless of ethnic background, who wants to learn more about Indigenous peoples and culture.

Comprised of both Indigenous and non-Indigenous students, the organization seeks to celebrate the diversity of Indigenous peoples and promote the discussion of important issues, including social justice and Indigenous access to health and education.

QNSA is also responsible for organizing Indigenous Awareness Week, which has a different theme each year and engages members of the Queen’s community through art, food, storytelling, and more.

For those whose world is a stage

Living in Technicolour gives creative artists an environment that encourages their growth. However, what sets them apart from other theatre companies is that they don’t solely shine the spotlight on dramatic acting.

Each semester, the team works together to host an extraordinary show that lasts two to three hours. The show includes a theatrical production, musical entertainment, short films, and a showcase of visual artwork, all created by Queen’s students.

Last year’s successful event, Judge and Jury: No Particular Treason, was an interactive show that allowed the audience to decide the story’s outcome, depending on which character they believed to be guilty after hearing each of their testimonies.  

For when it actually is rocket science

Queen’s Space Conference is for anyone who drifts off from everyday thoughts and considers life beyond Earth. 

The Queen’s Space Conference invites curious minds to explore new ideas in science and discovery, and to network with the brightest leaders in the space industry. 

The annual weekend event features interactive workshops, case competitions and exciting talks. Past speakers include astronauts, professors in astrophysics, and even science fiction authors.

Whether you’re interested in attending as a delegate or joining their executive team, the Queen’s Space Conference is worth looking into.

Feel free to explore whatever interests you, and don’t hesitate to try new things, whether that’s starring in a play or networking with rocket scientists. There will be a club at Queen’s waiting for you to join—and if not, you can always start your own.

AMS clubs, Frosh