The Journal finalist for Fraser MacDougall Prize

Three stories nominated for best new Canadian voice in human rights reporting

The Journal House.

Queen’s student newspaper is a finalist for the 2018 Fraser MacDougall Prize for Best New Canadian Voice in Human Rights Reporting.

The Journal picked up three out of six finalist spots for articles that delve into human rights issues on campus. 

The articles include two features from 2018, and one long-form project released in 2017.

The finalists are: “The forgotten legacies of Queen’s Black medical students”, by Arts Editor, Brigid Goulem; “Truth and Reconciliation at Queen’s, a year later”, by Editor-in-Chief Nick Pearce and Copy Editor Jasnit Pabla; and “Unquantifiable”, by former News Editor, Victoria Gibson. 

According to the National NewsMedia Council, this year’s shortlist was chosen from a record number of 28 nominations from campus news organizations across the country.

“This year’s jury was impressed by the quality of writing, rich context, and depth of narrative in all of the short-listed submissions. Judges were also impressed by the vibrancy of news presentation from campus news media organizations, either on newsprint or in digital format,” read the announcement.

The Fraser MacDougall Prize for Best New Canadian Voice in Human Rights Reporting, first presented in 2017, is meant to support student journalists who report on “challenging, high-impact human rights issues.”

Winners of the award will be honoured at the annual Journalists for Human Rights Gala, held in Toronto. Successful finalists will have their campus paper distributed at the gala and have their story re-published in The Toronto Star.

Winners will be announced in mid-September.