Storm floods buildings across campus

Downpour causes power outages, structural water leaks, storm drain back-up

Fire fighters and Campus Security enter Douglas Library Wednesday to address potential flooding. A Campus Security officer later confirmed no damage to the library.

Significant flooding hit Queen’s campus on Wednesday during an afternoon of severe thunderstorms and heavy rain.

According to several sources, many buildings on campus sustained flooding of varying intensity. There were reports of power outages along Arch Street and Stuart Street, several fire alarms, structural water leaks, and water back-up from flooded storm drains.

Union Street entrance to the JDUC flooded in nearly 6 inches of water on Wednesday. Credit: Iain Sherriff-Scott

Around 4:30 p.m., AMS staff began noticing water entering the John Deutsch University Centre (JDUC). In an interview with The Journal, AMS President Miguel Martinez said the Underground and the P&CC were flooded within ten minutes of staff noticing the water. 

Martinez said staff then noticed water coming out of the electrical room roughly 20 minutes later, at which point he contacted emergency services. After evacuating the building, the fire department arrived to address the flooding.

When Martinez—whose own office sustained significant flooding—returned to the AMS offices to assess the situation, the water had risen to at least 3 inches in its board room and main lobby.

Photos from @QueensAMS offices in the JDUC today. At least 4 inches of water in the AMS board room, Union Street entrance flooded. #queensu #ygk pic.twitter.com/UihJvZuMbE

— Queen’s Journal News (@QJnews) August 16, 2018

“We know there is flooding in the AMS offices and we’re not sure how high it could have gotten there or in the Underground,” Martinez said. “While the P&CC was flooded, a lot of the equipment in there is currently out of the service because of renovations.”

Elsewhere on campus, flooding was equally severe. According to eye-witnesses, the Integrated Learning Centre (ILC) in Beamish-Munro Hall experienced high water levels, particularly the building’s main atrium and surrounding offices.

When the water initially entered the ILC, a Physical Plant Service (PPS) worker said it reached nearly a foot high.

According to another PPS worker who spoke with The Journal, the “entire bottom floor” of Summerhill had flooded during the storm. The worker added that service crews were working to pump water out of “nearly every building” on campus.

Other buildings reported to have sustained flooding were Nicol Hall, MacIntosh-Corry Hall, Macdonald Hall, Grant Hall, Dupuis Hall, and Haines Hall. Water was also seen being pumped out of the Innovation and Wellness Centre (IWC) construction site.

Water is currently being pumped out of the IWC construction site. #queensu #ygk pic.twitter.com/F8yjNkPHtI

— Queen’s Journal News (@QJnews) August 15, 2018

Later in the day, Queen’s released a statement addressing the flooding.

“Campus Security and Emergency Services and Physical Plant Services staff responded to numerous calls in campus buildings involving power outages in the in the Arch/Stuart St. area of the campus, several fire alarms (no fires), structural water leaks, and some water back-ups from storm drains,” the statement read. “There were no reports of injuries.”

“Clean-up operations are presently underway. No additional details are available at this time. These incidents are not expected to impact regular university operations.”

AMS President Miguel Martinez stands in his office Wednesday. The downpour caused his office to flood.  Credit: Iain Sherriff-Scott

Corrections

The original text of this article incorrectly spelt Nicol Hall as “Nicole.” It has been updated to its correct spelling. 

The Journal regrets the error

AMS, Campus security