City garbage initiative aimed at students

Kingston officials offering in-person waste disposal guidance

Director of Solid Waste Operations

The City of Kingston is reaching out to students in the University District to reduce street garbage.   

Solid Waste Operations and bylaw enforcement will be in the area on Sept. 17, 18, 24 and 25, between 5 and 8 p.m.

“The purpose is to be available to see residents at the time they are setting waste at the curb,” Director of Solid Waste Operations, Heather Roberts, wrote in a statement. “If we can talk directly with the resident, we can solve further issues with their waste.”

Officials will be offering to walk students through the process of waste disposal in an effort to help new residents avoid fines and keep the streets clean.

“We can help them get it right with a real-life example of their waste in front of us,” Roberts added.

Roberts and her team will be educating students on garbage, recycling, and composting in hopes of improving how students handle their waste. The City will also distribute blue boxes to recycle metal, plastic, and glass with grey boxes for paper products and cardboard.

“This is our first year trying this out,” Roberts told The Journal in an interview. “This year we thought we’d try something new and try a larger outreach program.”

“Get [students] the right tools like recycling boxes and [tell them] where to buy bag tags [and] get them signed up for our waste app so that it makes it a lot easier to figure out what goes out every week.”

City of Kingston, garbage, University District