NEW CITY to bring chart-topping singles to the Mansion

Hit-making band chats with The Journal about Kingston show 

Brown, Webster and Mitchell in the video for their song “Getting Closer.”  
Screenshot from Youtube.

This Tuesday, NEW CITY will take over The Mansion as they visit Kingston on their North American tour.

It might be the last time NEW CITY plays such an intimate venue like the Mansion, especially when a headlining tour seems inevitable for the up-and-coming band.

With singles such as “Dirty Secrets” and “Getting Closer,” the Toronto-based trio—made up of vocalist Adrian Mitchell, guitarist Jed Webster, and drummer Nathan Brown—have come a long way from their days of writing songs in their basement apartment.

Their electro-pop sound has garnered a lot of attention from the music world—including rapper and producer, Timbaland.

According to the band, the partnership with the producer was a surprise.

While filming the music video for their first single, “Coachella,” they learned the veteran producer was ready to collaborate. 

“Our manager came down after we were done filming and he just showed us an email from Timbaland’s manager saying he f—ks with us and wants to meet,” drummer Nathan Brown said in an interview with The Journal.  

The band couldn’t believe it at first.

“It’s pretty f—king crazy,” Brown said.

NEW CITY and Timbaland’s creative partnership has grown, and the band is excited to release the songs they’ve produced with the rapper.

The partnership marks a huge professional departure for the trio. It’s a long way from writing “Coachella” in their basement while it snowed in the middle of winter.

“We wanted to write a song about Coachella, but we’d never been. So we put on a recap video from the prior year on YouTube. We just muted the sound and started putting our own chords behind it,” Brown said.

For “Coachella,” the writing process was an easy one. But for many songs, the band can find each word to be a challenge. They find the creative process more satisfying when it’s done together.

“Being in a band is awesome. You learn to trust more. As a band you can make collective creative decisions and it pushes the art along a little faster,” Mitchell said.

While the creative process required some work, NEW CITY’s Coachella-inspired song propelled them to the mainstream.

Meanwhile, their latest single “For My Eyes Only” can currently be found on Spotify’s Hot Hit’s Canada list.

Despite the success of the song, the lyrics of “For My Eyes Only” are a bit disturbing. The song can be creepy: set on a dark silent night, it includes a fixation on following a girl the band’s interested in, complete with imagery of them being in her room without her knowing.

There’s a possible negative interpretation, but Mitchell said the song is about the fixation with sharing relationships on social media.

“It feels like a lot of things nowadays aren’t really private anymore. Having somebody for your eyes only sounds like a luxury at this point,” Mitchell said.

Mainstream success aside, the band is looking forward to playing the Mansion on Tuesday. The intimate vibe of a small venue still excites them.