Three Halloween costumes that prove you know 2018 pop culture

How to avoid dressing up as the kids from Stranger Things—again

Image by: Josh Granovsky
Costumes like Drake or the Hormone Monster are sure to impress friends.

One of the most underrated benefits of Halloween is the opportunity to show off your proficiency in pop culture. Luckily, this year provided a treasure trove of ridiculous celebrity moments to turn into jaw-dropping costumes.

The Journal compiled three costume ideas guaranteed to garner some praise at your ability to translate cultural moments into prize-worthy getups. At the very least, you can rest easy knowing you won’t be one of the thousand Justin Trudeaus roaming the streets this year. 

And please, refrain from dressing up as Eleven from Stranger Things again this year. The girl deserves some rest.

Hormone Monster or Monstress from Big Mouth

When Big Mouth premiered on Netflix last year, it immediately launched the Hormone Monster and Monstress into the animated characters’ Hall of Fame. The two crude creatures are easily the most recognizable faces from the show, which released its second season last month.

To pull off this costume, all you need is a light brown shirt, dark brown pants, and some furry brown socks to wear on your arms and legs. Stick on some yellow horns and fake ears to complete the look—you can also give tweens terrible sex advice all night long if you really want to sell the character. 

Yanny vs. Laurel

What do you hear?! Yanny or Laurel pic.twitter.com/jvHhCbMc8I

— Cloe Feldman (@CloeCouture) May 15, 2018

Remember when earlier this year—yes, somehow it was only this year—a meme asking if a recording said “Yanny” or “Laurel” spread like wildfire? And the Internet exploded in a cloud of confusion and anger because that’s the only thing the Internet knows how to do? Well, this infuriating debate may hold the key to impressing all your friends at costume parties.

All you need for people to understand who you are is a printed version of the Instagram story poll that brought the Yanny vs. Laurel debate global attention. This idea would also work well for a two-person costume, with both people wearing one poll option. 

Bonus points if you also dress up as whatever you imagine Yanny or Laurel would look like in real life—I personally think of Yanny as a German foreign exchange student and Laurel as Carly from iCarly.

Drake and his secret son

Drake shocked the world this summer when he announced he was a father to a nearly year-old son. The specifics of how music’s most high-profile rapper managed to keep this news under wraps for so long is still a mystery. While the world may never know the answer, the possible strategy Drake may have used to conceal his fatherhood makes for a great Halloween costume.

Start off with a standard Drake look: a well-maintained beard, Timberland boots, and a large OVO sweater or jacket—taping the brand logo onto other clothes works, too. Once you’ve mastered this step, find yourself a baby doll or wrap anything oval-shaped in a blanket. Conceal your child in the inside pocket of your OVO swag and pretend it’s business as usual. 

Next, head on down to the Halloween festivity of your choice and ceremoniously remove the baby from your clothes periodically throughout the night. Each time you reveal your son to the world, tell everyone around you to “shhhh” and swiftly place the baby back inside your costume. 

With this foolproof scheme, Drake’s secret will be safe and your costume will be a hit.

costumes, drake, Halloween, Pop Culture