Gaels weekend road round-up: week 8

Women’s hockey won its only game of the weekend 3-1 against UOIT in Oshawa.
Image by: Matt Scace

Men’s basketball leave empty-handed in both games

The men’s basketball team’s hopes for the weekend were dashed after two losses on the road. Headed into their second and third games of the season, the Gaels were nationally-ranked for the first time in over a decade last week. 

Western (2-1) managed to narrowly sneak past the Gaels to win Friday afternoon’s game 66-62. Quinton Gray scored 17 points for Queen’s, followed by Jesse Graham and Jaz Bains, who scored nine points apiece.

Following their tight loss in London, the Gaels sustained a heartbreaking 61-59 defeat to the Windsor Lancers on Saturday. Queen’s maintained a lead for the majority of the game until the last two minutes, when the Lancers scored nine unanswered points to come out on top.

Next weekend, the Gaels face off against the Guelph Gryphons for their first home bout of the season.

—Maggie Gowland, Assistant Sports Editor

Women’s basketball split weekend series

The women’s basketball team went 1-1 in their games against the Western Mustangs and Windsor Lancers this weekend.

On Friday afternoon, the Gaels enjoyed a strong 58-48 win over the Western Mustangs to capture their second win of the season. Fifth-year Marianne Alarie, fourth-year Veronika Lavernge, and fourth-year Maddie Morris each scored ten points or more.

Following their triumph in London, Queen’s fell to the Windsor Lancers 88-79 on Saturday evening. Alarie dropped 34 points in what was the Gaels’ first loss of the season.

The team’s next game will be at home against the Guelph Gryphons on Friday.

Men’s volleyball leave Toronto with even record

Coming off a win against the Ryerson Rams (2-1) and a loss to the U of T Varsity Blues (3-1) this weekend, the Gaels (2-2) proved they have a knack for tight games.

On Friday, the team beat Ryerson 3-2 but lost on Saturday to U of T 2-3 as they spent the weekend in Toronto. The Gaels have now gone to five sets in each of their four games this season.

Queen’s did all they could to avoid blowing a two set-to-none lead against the Rams. They won by three points in the final set, taking it 15-12. On Saturday, the Gaels once again gave up a 2-0 lead—though this time they were unable to find their bearings and lost the fifth set, 15-13.

The men will hit the road this coming weekend as they travel to McMaster (2-0) and Brock (0-4) on Friday and Saturday.

—Matt Scace, Sports Editor

Women’s volleyball goes 1-1 in weekend matchups

The Gaels (2-2) avoided getting swept in Toronto this weekend, beating U of T in five sets on Saturday after losing to the defending national champions Ryerson on Friday.

In Friday’s game against Ryerson, the Gaels showed they could compete with the country’s best. Middle blocker Saffron van der Linde accounted for five aces and second-year Julia Wiercigroch, who had 10 kills and seven digs, led Queen’s gutsy performance—but it wasn’t enough. Queen’s lost in five tight sets, losing the deciding one 15-9.

The Gaels had another nail-biting match against U of T the next day. On the heels of a fourth set meltdown that saw the Gaels lose 25-12, the women rallied to etch out a win in a convincing fifth set 15-9.

This weekend, the Gaels will drive to Hamilton to visit the McMaster Marauders (0-2) on Friday and Brock Badgers (1-3) on Saturday.

—Jack Rabb, Staff Writer

Men’s hockey suffer pair of losses against OUA East rivals 

The Gaels (6-3) lost twice in Ottawa this past weekend following a 6-3 loss to the Carleton Ravens (5-1) on Friday and a 4-2 loss to the UOttawa Gee-Gee’s (7-0) on Saturday.

Friday saw the Gaels open thier weekend with fast-paced play, just not in their favour—the Ravens scored all six of their goals within the first thirty minutes of play. Starting goaltender Justin Fazio was replaced by Jack Flinn midway through the game, who’d finish with 17 saves at the time of being pulled to keep Queen’s deficit at 6.

Gaels forwards Eric Margo, Slater Doggett, and Luke Bertolucci all scored goals for Queen’s.

Pressure on the Gaels continued into Saturday’s matchup against the undefeated Gee-Gee’s. Strong offensive action by UOttawa granted the home team a 2-0 lead near the end of the first period.

A goal from forward Mason Kohn pulled Queen’s off their heels, heading into intermission with only a single-goal deficit. They tied it up in the third with a tally from forward Henry Thompson, but the Gee-Gee’s, unabridged by the Gaels’ comeback, retaliated and scored two more goals to cap off the game.

Queen’s is now ranked third in the OUA East after losing successive games, behind both UOttawa and Carleton.

The Gaels (6-3-0) return to Kingston this weekend in a pair of games against the Université de Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) Patriotes (6-3-0) on Friday and Saturday evenings at the Memorial Centre.

—Jasnit Pabla, Copy Editor

Women’s hockey win lone weekend game

The Gaels (5-2-0-0) enjoyed a small break this weekend with one game against the University of Ontario Institute of Technology Ridgebacks (UOIT), winning 3-1.

It was opportune timing for a one-game weekend, as the team played three consecutive weekends of back-to-back games. While the margin of victory wasn’t large, the statistics pointed to a dominant game for the Gaels, who outshot UOIT 42-28. Rookies Quinn Johnston and Nicole Posesorski scored the Gaels’ opening goals, while fourth-year Katrina Manoukarakis scored the final goal. Meanwhile, goaltender Makenzie Arsenault—who’s given up two goals in the past four games—made 27 saves.

Queen’s will get back on the ice this weekend against the U of T (4-1-0-0) and Ryerson (2-2-2-0) at home.

—Matt Scace, Sports Editor

Inspired season concludes for women’s soccer with loss to McMaster in OUA Final Four

The women’s soccer team’s season ended on Sunday with a tough loss 3-0 to the McMaster Marauders. The Gaels, following a close 3-2 overtime defeat at the hands of the Western Mustangs on Friday, played the Marauders in the OUA bronze medal game.

McMaster dominated the first half, pinning the Gaels in their own half and firing shot after shot at Queen’s goaltender, Anna Stephenson. Despite the Gaels’ best efforts, the Marauders eventually found the back of the net in the 44th minute, securing a one-goal lead going into the half. Queen’s failed to gain momentum from then on, conceding again in the 51st and 82nd minutes.

With the loss, the Gaels narrowly missed qualification for a U Sports National Championship berth and finished the season with a 9-5-5 record.

—Andrew Schjerning, Staff Writer

Men's Basketball, Men's hockey, women's basketball, women's hockey, Women's soccer