Arts in Brief: Queen’s prof Kim Renders remembered at Mayor’s Arts Awards

• Arts

Professor Kim Renders was honoured on Monday evening during the annual Mayor’s Arts Awards. 

The event took place at City Hall on Nov. 5 and recognized “the achievements and contributions of individual artists and arts organizations to the cultural vitality of Kingston, and in doing so, inspire and encourage others,” according to their website. 

There are three categories—the Creator Award, which recognizes living artists, art collectives, or arts organization; the Arts Champion Award, which recognizes a living person or organization who contributes to the Kingston arts community in a non-artistic capacity; and the Limestone Arts Legacy Award recognizes past individuals who contributed to the vitality of the arts community, and who inspired others to do the same. 

Queen’s professor Kim Renders, who passed away over the summer, was among the honourees. She was the recipient of the Limestone Arts Legacy Award. Renders was a nationally respected actor, director, and writer. A professor at the Dan School of Music and Drama, Renders’ accomplishments go well beyond her resume.  

“The potential was for her to create the community theatre scene and to involve people who were marginalized in some ways, who didn’t have a voice, and gave them a platform to get on stage and tell their stories,” her husband Robert Lindsay said in the Mayor’s Arts Award Profile video. 

Renders’ earned admiration on campus for her art, activism, and her support for students. 

“[Renders] was your ultimate champion, she was everybody’s champion,” said musician and friend Meghan Hamilton in the awards video.