Gaels weekend road round-up: week 9

Men’s volleyball sweep series, women go winless

Men's volleyball beat first-ranked McMaster over the weekend.

The men’s and women’s volleyball teams spent the weekend squaring off against McMaster and Brock.

Men’s volleyball take down first-ranked McMaster

The men’s volleyball team (4-2) pulled off the upset of the season on Friday, defeating the first-ranked team in the country, the McMaster Marauders (3-1), in five sets.

Speeding to a 2-0 set lead, the Gaels dropped the following two sets, leading to a fifth-set tiebreaker. The Gaels narrowly won the decider 15-13, handing McMaster their first loss of the 2018-19 season.

M – THEY’VE DONE IT

The Gaels take down No.1 McMaster in five sets for a HUGE win#LeadTheWay #GoGaelsGo pic.twitter.com/fabYXnKOhH

— Queen’s Gaels (@queensgaels) November 10, 2018

McMaster has lost only seven games in the span of six seasons—dating back to the 2012-13 season—and has been the most consistently strong OUA team since then.

On Saturday, the Gaels followed up their win with another five-set victory over the Brock Badgers (1-5). They decisively won the fifth set 15-11 after letting a 2-1 set lead slip away. Queen’s has played six games this season, all of which have gone to five sets.

The Gaels will be back in town this weekend when they take on the York Lions (1-2) on Saturday and Nipissing Lakers (2-0) on Sunday.

Women’s volleyball goes winless

The women’s volleyball team (2-4) didn’t share the men’s success over the weekend, dropping their pair of games to McMaster (2-2) and Brock (3-3).

The Gaels started slowly against McMaster, dropping the first set 25-15. While they hit back in the second set, winning it 25-16, a tight 27-25 third set loss sunk their spirits for the rest of the match. They went on to lose the fourth 25-18.

Looking to rebound, the Gaels found themselves in a familiar situation against Brock, ultimately losing in four tight sets. After dropping a close first set 25-23, they raced to a 25-18 second-set victory, 11 points of which came off Brock errors.

Queen’s went on to lose the third and fourth sets 25-21 and 29-27.

The loss was the Gaels’ fourth in their last five games, which they’ll be looking to change this weekend when they regain home floor advantage. On Saturday afternoon, the women are set to host the York Lions (4-0) and then the Nipissing Lakers (2-1) the following day.

Men's Volleyball, Women's Volleyball