KHSC Shooter faces 9 charges, including attempted murder

One injured after suspect disarmed officer, fired shots

Kingston Police responded to a code silver at KHSC on Monday evening.
Dominic Christian Owens

This story was updated at 7:06 p.m., Tuesday, November 7, 2018.

On Monday evening, police responded to gunshots in Kingston Health Sciences Centre after an inmate receiving treatment took an officer’s handgun and injured one person.

Inmate Corey Ryan Ward, 32, faces 9 charges for Monday’s shooting, according to police.

Police charged Ward with three counts of attempted murder, taking the weapon of a peace officer, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose and three counts of discharging firearm with intent to wound or endanger life.

Ward was brought to the hospital on Monday after he was found unconscious and in need of medical attention at Millhaven Institution. He was rushed to KGH’s emergency department under the supervision of two correctional officers.

Corey Ryan Ward arrives at court. (Photo by Radio-Canada/Frédéric Pepin).

After initially cooperating with officers, Ward’s restraints were removed and he was permitted to use the washroom.

When Ward came out of the washroom, he grabbed an officer’s handgun out of its holster. The officers kept the firearm pointed at the floor as they brought Ward to the ground.

While the officers struggled to bring down Ward, he discharged the firearm, striking a victim in their lower body. Before Ward was restrained, a second shot was fired, hitting a wall. 

According to Kingston Police, the victim suffered “serious, but non-life-threatening” injuries from the incident.

In response to the shooter, the hospital declared a “code silver” which has since been lifted.

Calling the shooting a “major incident,” Constable Fil Wisniak tweeted there’s no longer a threat to public safety and that more information would follow from the Kingston Police Major Crimes Unit.

Ward attended a bail hearing Tuesday.