News in Brief

Journal File photo

Some Saudi Arabian students to finish degrees in Canada

Some Saudi Arabian undergraduate students in Canada will be allowed to remain in the country to complete their degrees, the Government of Canada confirmed on Nov. 19.

Saudi international students in the final year of their degrees, graduate students and medical trainees have also been allowed to remain in Canada. 

After the recent diplomatic fallout between Canada and Saudi Arabia, the latter withdrew more than 15,000 international students who were studying in the country.

Of the 79 Saudi Arabian students at Queen’s before the withdrawal, 37 are medical trainees at Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC). 

Queen’s hasn’t released a statement addressing how many undergraduate students will remain under the new order.

—Iain Sherriff-Scott

New hires in the Office of Indigenous Initiatives

Following hiring recommendations set forth in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission task force report, Queen’s has hired new staff for its Office of Indigenous Initiatives, the University announced on Nov. 16.

Haley Cochrane was the first support Kanonhsyonne (Janice Hill) hired after she was appointed as Director of Indigenous Initiatives in 2017. Kanonhsyonne’s position has since been elevated to vice-principal (Indigneous Initiatives).

Cochrane was hired as the Coordinator for the office in May of 2018.

“When I saw this position, it was appealing because of all the Indigenous work happening at Queen’s and the momentum that’s already been built,” Cochrane said in a statement.

Cochrane was involved in the hiring of the Cultural Advisor, Te howis kwûnt (Allen Doxtator), and the Knowledge Keeper, Grey Thunderbird (Tim Yearington). 

Te howis kwûnt is concentrated on education and bringing together Indigenous and non-Indigenous Peoples. 

“We need to be able to pull ourselves together—both Indigenous Peoples and settlers—and stand up for each other and support each other.”

Since being hired, Knowledge Keeper, Grey Thunderbird, has hosted education sessions with staff, as well as PhD candidates involved in Indigenous research. 

“It’s about helping people learn and remember,” Grey Thunderbird said. “It’s about helping people learn and remember the traditional ways, which are really about being better people.”

—Rachel Aiken