AMS Assembly Recap: Jan 17

Society to provide updates on new University policy on alcohol 

Assembly met on Jan. 17. 

Last Thursday’s AMS assembly began with a presentation from the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance (OUSA) President Danny Chang and Vice President of Administration and Human Resources, Julia Göllner.

After assembly members expressed concern about the Ford government’s OSAP announcements, which include cuts to grants and the cancellation of the six-month grace period for loan interest build-up following graduation, Chang promised all eight institutions that make up the Alliance would be meeting soon to strategize.

“The right way to move forward is to listen to what students are saying,” Chang said.

President’s Report

President Miguel Martinez called the recent OSAP changes a “cause for concern” and promised he’d be setting up meetings with various bodies, including Michael Fraser, vice-principal (university relations), to address the news throughout the week.

In his report to assembly, Martinez included an update about the University’s redrafting of the campus alcohol policy. In the coming weeks, Martinez wrote consultations will be made with campus pubs before a complete draft is posted for “broader consultations.”

“Once the policy is posted, I will send a link and receive feedback as to how to advocate on behalf of students regarding the policy,” he said.

Policy

The AMS approved the second reading of changes to make the AMS constitution gender-neutral.

The initiative moved because of the AMS mandate, which states the Society is “to serve and represent the diversity of students at Queen’s University.”

The summary of the proposed change states “replacing binary pronouns (i.e. he/she, him/her) with the gender-neutral “they,” is a nonintrusive step towards fulfilling both mandates.”

The summary maintains the proposed changes will not affect the content of the document, but instead “is a step towards making it more relevant to and inclusive of all students, present and future.”

AMS Assembly, OSAP, OUSA