Undergraduate Trustee forum recap

Lone candidate discusses improving student engagement 

Tyler Macintyre is the sole candidate campaigning for Undergraduate Trustee.
Tyler Macintyre, the sole Undergraduate Trustee candidate, spoke to an open forum which no students attended in Wallace Hall on Wednesday.

In the talk, Macintyre, Sci ’20, addressed improving student engagement on campus and providing easier access to information following Board of Trustee meetings. 

With only two moderators, three videographers, and The Journal in attendance, Macintyre emphasized his intent to improve accessibility of Queen’s government information and overall engagement. 

Victoria Chappell, the current Undergraduate Trustee and one of the moderators of the evening, asked how Macintyre intends to do that.

He proposed using social media to foster accessibility through concise messages and surveys in Facebook groups such as Overheard at Queen’s, to keep students informed on the events and decisions made during Board meetings.  

“‘Overheard at Queen’s may seem like a silly place, but it also has over 30,000 members and [it’s] also really well-trafficked by Queen’s students. While there are some silly contents, [it’s] also a very good way to get actual meaningful information out there,” Macintyre said.

Macintyre added one of the issues with accessing student government information is its complexity, citing unfamiliar jargon and technical terms. By providing summaries and short messages on social media instead, Macintyre hopes to clarify Board decisions.

Moderators then asked how Macintyre would approach discrepancies between Board and student opinions. 

He said he’d hope to “speak with student’s voices as loudly as [he] can,” to ensure all voices are fairly represented. 

As a closing remark, Macintyre said he encourages student interaction with the Trustee position and hopes peers approach him with their concerns. 

“My first priority is to increase student involvement and knowledge in student governance in Queen’s […] and to ensure that voices are accurately represented. I really hope that students will interact with me to ensure that I represent their views to the Board,” he said.