News in Brief

While US charges Huawei, Queen’s proceeds with contracts 

Queen’s will continue research relations with Chinses telecom giant, Huawei, despite US criminal charges being laid against the company.

On Monday, the US Department of Justice announced criminal charges against Huawei and its Chief Financial Officer, Meng Wanzhou.

As reported in The New York Times, Huawei has been charged with counts of bank and wire fraud based on alleged attempts to destroy or conceal evidence pertaining to its evasion of economic sanctions on Iran.

The University issued a statement on Jan. 29 to The Journal about how it will proceed with its relationship with Huawei, following the charges. 

“As stated previously, Queen’s will remain in compliance with all federal directives and regulations regarding research partnerships,” the statement read. “Should the government change its directives or regulations regarding those global research efforts, the university would absolutely comply with their direction while respecting any legal obligations we have already undertaken.”

In October, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) issued a warning to research-intensive domestic universities. The agency cautioned the research vice-principals of institutions about receiving funding from Huawei Technologies, citing national security concerns.

Queen’s is only one of the Canadian universities financially engaged with Huawei. 

Early in January, when asked about Queen’s ties to the Chinese telecom company, Dr. Kimberly Woodhouse, vice-principal (research), wrote to The Journal that Huawei had just approved a funding contract with the University for one research project.

Woodhouse added that the possibility of additional funding is still under discussion.

Huawei, Research