Sports in Brief

The Journal’s sports editor breaks down the latest athletics news on campus

Women's curling came fourth at U Sports Championships this week.
Image by: Matt Scace

Women’s curling finishes fourth at U Sports Championships

After reigning victorious at the OUA Championships for the first time since 1994, the women’s curling team followed up with a fourth-place finish at the U Sports National Championships this week.

Led by OUA first team All-Star skip Mary Fay and third-year Calli Barclay, the Gaels came out of round robin play with a 5-2 record, giving them the second seed going into the semi-finals. 

Slated against the Brock Badgers, Queen’s narrowly fell 6-5. They’d beat the Badgers earlier, but failed to repeat in the biggest match of the season.

On Tuesday, the Gaels took on the Dalhousie Tigers in the bronze medal match, and once again fell 6-5, leaving the tournament fourth in the country.

At the conclusion of the tournament, Head Coach Scott Davey was named U Sports Coach of the Year, while Fay received the R.W. Pugh Fair Play Award. Barclay was named a first-team All-Canadian.

Osei Kusi at CFL National Combine this weekend

This weekend, Queen’s football’s Chris Osei-Kusi will show scouts his athleticism at the CFL National Combine. Osei-Kusi’s results will play a large role in his placing at the CFL Draft, which takes place on May 2.

The national combine will feature 41 other athletes from across Canada and various parts of Europe and the United States.

This season, Osei-Kusi logged 563 yards from 34 receptions, scoring one touchdown over eight games. In his time with Queen’s he totalled 1,862 yards, eight touchdowns—seven of which came in the 2017-18 season—and averaged 66.5 receiving yards a game.

On Thursday, fellow Gaels Ejaz Causer and Marquis Richards represented Queen’s at the Ontario regional combine. Causer placed ninth overall in the shuttle run.

Last year, former Gaels Nelkas Kwemo, Mike Moore, and Jake Firlotte were drafted to the CFL after having none picked in the 2017 draft.

Doggett, Grossinger named second team All-Canadians

Both attending the U Sports Championships last weekend, the men’s hockey and men’s volleyball teams had various players given national distinctions.

For the men’s hockey team, graduating forward Slater Doggett was named second-team All-Canadian. This season, Doggett logged 21 goals in 25 games for Queen’s despite missing a chunk of the season due to injury. His 34 points gave him a 1.36 points-per-game average.

Earlier this month, he was named OUA East MVP and given the Randy Gregg Award for his off-ice community contributions as a student athlete.

Meanwhile, men’s volleyball’s Zane Grossinger was named second-team All-Canadian. In the Gaels Forsyth Cup-winning season, he contributed an OUA-best 718 assists, alongside 114 digs. His numbers improved upon his 2017-18 rookie season, for which he was named OUA Rookie of the Year.

Football, Men's Volleyball, Slater Doggett, women's curling, Zane Grossinger