Everything that happened at March Senate

Margaret Hooey Governance Award given to student senator

On Tuesday, the Senate Meeting handed out the Margaret Hooey Governance Award to Student Senator Afsheen Chowdhury. 

The award celebrates student contributions to governance through service on Senate and Senate Committees. Chowdhury is a student senator representing the Concurrent Education Students’ Association, and the founder of the CESA Election mentorship program. 

“Being a student senator is very intimidating because you get to sit amongst scholar and intellects, people who have done and seen so much then I have,” Chowdhury said upon receiving the award.

Changes in Queen’s Learning Outcomes

Senate expressed the need to revise the current Learning Outcomes Framework during the March meeting. The first version was approved two years ago by Senate, and this time aims to focus on “access for all students of race, ethnicity, gender orientation, and ability.” 

The learning outcome is divided into five themes aspiring to achieve an inclusive learning environment. While the new adopted framework aims to combat social issues on campus, concerns were still raised on how effective the framework will be. 

“We hope that people can be inspired to be bold in the creation of learning outcomes. In the implementation phase, we will be producing guides and examples for the faculties and the students to guide the development of the learning outcome. That is where there will be a very big impact,” Jill Scott, the Senate Committee on Academic Development, told Senate. 

Measures to Prevent Sexual Violence On Campus

The University also addressed sexual violence on campus by speaking to their plans to address the issue moving forward. 

This follows the release of the Student Voices on Sexual Violence Survey that was completed by thousands of Queen’s students last winter. 

Among other provincial universities, Queen’s ranked fourth among non-consensual sexual violence disclosures. 

“We already have a working group on sexual violence,” Principal Daniel Woolf said. “[But] we are also reviewing the policies on sexual violence.”  

According to the University, the government requires the updated policy by September of 2019. In the meantime, Woolf encouraged all students who’ve had sexual violence experiences on campus to contact support groups. 

However, a larger concern was raised on the lack of support services, where students aren’t getting the support services they need. Points regarding additional efforts to increase capacity on such services were discussed. 

Senate expressed that before they increase capacity in professionals, they’re still waiting on reports and details from students on specific areas that needs to be paid more attention to. 

Whether it being accommodation or counseling, the University is waiting on more detailed reports.

Capital Planning and Governance 

In response to the revenue cuts facing Queen’s because of the provincial government’s changes to tuition earlier this year, Interim Provost Tom Harris presented some solutions to aid in the issue.  

Harris suggested the continuation of advancement in “internationalization efforts,” and increasing more international students for the incoming class. 

During the meeting, Vice-Principal (Finance and Administration), Donna Janiec, also delivered a presentation on asset management and capital plan objectives. 

The plan of the focus will be around buildings, information technology, and servicing infrastructure. Currently, the major capital projects in planning include JDUC revitalization, which will cost around $62.3 million, with $50.5 million coming from student fees over 25 years. 

With the JDUC renovation plan in progress, the University will also be looking into adding a new residence to keep the first year residence guarantee, and to replace the current residence in the JDUC. According to the Senate, architects are currently looking for sites on campus. 

Other Business

Senate approved the establishment of BAH Major in Environmental Studies for School of Environmental Studies.

Senate also approved the proposal to establish a Chair in Surgical Innovation and Research, subject to ratification by the board of Trustees. There will also be major modifications to the MA in Religious Studies degree program, School of Religion, Faculty of Arts and Science, effective September 2019.

Senate