News in Brief: Queen's student receives scholarship award

On International Women’s Day, three Queen’s students received the Bank of Canada’s Master’s Scholarship Award for Women in Economics and Finance. 

Economics masters students Stephanie Renaud, Sanjana Bhatnagar, and Vivian Chu were given a $10,000 scholarship each as well as an offer of permanent employment at the Bank of Canada.

In an email to The Journal, Renaud spoke of her undergraduate background prior to coming to Queen’s.

“I completed my BA in Economics (COOP) at the University of Ottawa. As part of the co-op program, I worked at the Department of Finance as an assistant economist, for which I received the COOP Student of the Year Award for the faculty of social sciences in 2016,” Renaud wrote.

The objective of the Master’s Scholarship award is to encourage women to pursue graduate studies in finance and economics. This is in hopes of breaking the central banking sector’s glass ceiling.

According to the Bank of Canada’s requirements for the Master’s Scholarship Award, applicants are required to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, identify as a woman, pursue their studies either full-time or part-time in a field with work related to the Bank of Canada, specialize in finance or economics, and maintain a GPA of 70 per cent.

Applications for next year’s scholarships will become available in September of 2019.