Quotes of the Year

A look back at this year’s best sound bites

Pat Sheahan.
Pat Sheahan.

“[McCarney] challenged me. He said, ‘You better stay here longer than I did.’ And that was 22 years. I said, ‘Moose, it ain’t happening. It’s not going down that way. I was waiting for him to answer, but he didn’t.” — Pat Sheahan on visiting the grave of former football assistant coach, Hal ‘Moose’ McCarney, after resigning as head coach.

“We might as well have been [at a] Kingston public skate.” — Kevin Bailie, men’s hockey assistant, following Queen’s 5-1 loss to RMC in the Carr-Harris Cup.

“I looked up closely and there was a shadow of a moose in between the ball and the goalpost,” — Pat Sheahan

“We’re the start of the factory of great rugby players,” — Sadie Stephenson, graduating women’s rugby player, on the departing class of 2015.

“I never thought […] Home gym, championship […] [I’m] speechless.” — Gabe DeGroot, first-year men’s volleyball head coach, subsequent to winning the Forsyth Cup on homefloor.

“I really was a kid. Now I’m a man, a father of two, and married now for 14 years. It’s crazy how quickly life goes.” — Brett Gibson, men’s hockey head coach, reflecting on the start of his career in 2006 to October, when he eclipsed the 150-win milestone with Queen’s.

“They’re not an X or an O on a sheet of paper. They’re a human being that’s going to be put on an expressway for success as soon as they leave this program.” — Steve Snyder, new football head coach, at his introductory press conference in January.

“I’ll never forget when I got this job, people told me, ‘What’re you doing? You can’t win at Queen’s. I guess I’m stubborn—we put Queen’s on the map.” — Brett Gibson, on eclipsing the 150-win milestone with Queen’s.

“They’re going to be pretty much untouchable.” — Steve Boyd, cross country head coach, on his women’s team prior to the OUA championships. They’d go on to win their second consecutive banner.

“I don’t think there’s a match we can’t win.” — Dave Butcher, men’s rugby head coach, after winning the OUA semi-final vs. Waterloo 59-16. The following week, his team beat Guelph 48-10 for their 24th Turner Trophy.

“Everyone went in assuming they were going to have a spot on the podium. If their goal wasn’t first, it was coming second and third.” — Nick Grubic, fourth-year rower, after the Gaels picked up seven medals at the U Sports National Championships in November.

“I don’t think there’s a rock or blade of grass they don’t know,” — Steve Boyd, on his cross country teams ahead of hosting the national championship at Fort Henry. The women’s team would finish second while the men fifth.

“I need a day or night to decompress from this one.” — Gabe DeGroot, after the men’s volleyball team’s five-set win quarterfinal win over Guelph.

“I think this just shows the start of what we’re going to see from Gavin Stone.” — Rami Maassarani, coach of Queen’s rowing, on Colour Awards Outstanding Performer of the Year recipient, Gavin Stone.

“After being successful here, if [Queen’s] can win a championship and go to nationals, that will open a lot of doors for me.” — Slater Doggett, men’s hockey forward, after featuring for the U Sports All-Stars in a three-game series against Canada’s World Junior Prospects.

brett gibson, pat sheahan, Steve Boyd