Journal staff recognized for Best Campus Feature Story

Josh Granovsky awarded for his article opening up about anti-Semitism

Granovsky won first place for Best Campus Feature story.
Supplied by Josh Granovsky
Former Journal Lifestyle Editor Josh Granovsky took home first place for Best Campus Feature Story at the Canadian Community Newspaper Awards on June 8, for his article “Standing strong in the face of antisemitism.”

“I was scared to acknowledge this kind of hate living right on my doorstep,” Granovsky said of an anti-Semitic incident he experienced. “I wrote about this incident because I knew I had the opportunity to reach a wide audience through The Journal’s platform.”

Granovsky said support from the Jewish community and its allies gave him strength to write the article.

“I wanted to communicate that anyone who tries to disrupt the Jewish community’s sense of belonging at Queen’s clearly doesn’t understand the strength of our resolve for protecting each other.” 

Going forward, Granovsky said he hopes his story inspires others to stand up for communities facing discrimination, “whether it’s one they belong to or not.”

Second place went to The Eyeopener’s Olivia Bednar for her story “The Miseducation of Everyone.” Third place went to The Varsity’s Paige Chu for her story “Setting norms, inheriting privilege.”