Journal staff nominated for international student journalism award

Iain Sherriff-Scott a finalist for his work on Queen’s unpublished foreign investments

Image by: Jodie Grieve
Iain Sherriff-Scott is a finalist for the David Teeuwen Student Journalism award. 

The Online Journalism Awards listed Journal Managing Editor Iain Sherriff-Scott as a finalist for the David Teeuwen Student Journalism award last month.

Nominated for Sherriff-Scott’s work on Queen’s unpublished foreign investments published last March, The Queen’s Journal is one of five finalists for the small newsroom category, which honours a student package or project that “expertly uses digital storytelling and technologies regarding a specific story or topic to inform its audience.”

The Journal was the only organization under both the large and small newsroom categories nominated for the award that isn’t part of a journalism program or graduate school.

“Firstly, I’m excited to be considered for this award,” Sherriff-Scott said in an interview with The Journal. “My project looking at the university’s investments was underway for almost eight months and I couldn’t have done it without [the] support of our staff and my editors.”

He added that his piece was an important story to tell because “transparency around the university’s investment portfolios is paramount.”

“When it comes down to it, students and community members deserve to see where their money is invested,” Sherriff-Scott said.

The story also resulted in change, he added.

“Queen’s investment services has told us they are looking into ways to publish the holdings of third-party pooled funds, which had previously been inaccessible.”

Other student journalists nominated for the award come from the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and the University of British Columbia Graduate School of Journalism.

The winner will be announced at an awards ceremony on Sept. 14 in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Award, student journalism