Queen’s students’ cures for Monday mornings

Get the most out of the week’s worst day

These Queen's students have got the fix for your Monday blues.

While it’s clichéd to say, Mondays truly are the worst. The idea of returning to campus after a weekend of fun, facing those readings you put off, and sitting through another handful of monotonous lectures can sour anybody’s day.

At the same time, no matter how much you wish they wouldn’t, Mondays happen every week. It can be cathartic to indulge your inner Garfield and permanently write off Monday as a bad day, but then you’d be wasting almost 15 per cent of your week—and life— angry at the world.

With a little work, you can turn Mondays from crappy to happy by using a few of these tricks from fellow Queen’s students:

***

“My cure for Monday mornings is admitting I love pop music. 

Every other day of the week, I put on that alternative music by those bands I know I’m supposed to talk about on dates, and pretend I love those slow, passionate instrumental sounds. 

On Mondays, I know it’s going be impossible to get out of bed without Lady Gaga’s help. I put on “Telephone” by Beyoncé and Lady Gaga before I even get out of bed, and “No Air” by Jordin Sparks is playing by the time I get back from the bathroom. 

This is the only way the happiness from my dreams from the night before can continue.”

Sam Fink, ConEd ’20 

“Monday-itis—the feeling of distress you get on Mondays—is a mindset. I believe you should wake up with the mentality of self-improvement, and then there won’t be a better day of the week. 

Personally, I deadlift on Mondays. Start the week by lifting the heaviest thing you can; it breeds confidence. It’s not easy, but there’s something positive about getting the hardest thing done at the beginning. 

If you’ve ever eaten broccoli before your steak, it’s the same mindset. 

Also, maybe it’s just me, but there’s no better way to improve your mood than treating yourself to a delicious fruit smoothie. I usually drink one to cheer myself up after watching the Steelers lose another game. I recommend mixing in a scoop of ALLMAX amino acids and some frozen bananas.”

Jeff Misner, Commerce ’20

“Nobody likes Monday mornings, especially if you’re the unfortunate one who has an 8:30 a.m. class. There are two things I do every Monday morning to make the worst day of the week a little special. 

The first thing I do is wake up 10 minutes earlier than I usually would and blast my favourite song on repeat until I dare to get out of bed. The second, and most important, thing I do is pre-order a venti chai latte from Starbucks to grab on my way to class. 

I find treating myself on a dreaded day such as Monday makes it just that much better.”

Madeleine Henry, ArtSci ’20  

“Given that I have a Monday 8:30 a.m. seminar to attend, followed by a full day of classes, you would think Monday would be my least favourite day of the week, but it’s one of my favourites. 

I allow myself to get a full night’s rest every Sunday so that I can wake up and have a homemade breakfast. 

Often, I find myself spending too much money on a campus breakfast (it’s not like I can just make my own top secret bagel—Common Ground keeps their secrets for a reason). But on Mondays, I treat myself. 

I wake up 20 minutes early so I can be fully awake for my 8:30 with a stomach full of my favourite breakfast and at least one cup of coffee. It makes waking up something to look forward to, and it sets me up for an excellent day.”

Emily Elliott, ArtSci ’20 

life hacks, Student life