Sports in brief: week 7

Queen’s teams sweep their RMC counterparts

The women’s soccer team, men’s rugby team, and men’s soccer team each faced off against their RMC counterparts and came away with solid victories.

Women’s soccer keeps streak alive

The women’s soccer team continued their undefeated streak this weekend against the RMC Paladins. On Sunday, Oct. 13, the Gaels won a decisive 5-0 battle against their crosstown adversaries.

The team opened strong, scoring their first goal within 15 minutes by Christie Gray. Since Alanna Richardson pitched a shutout, Gray’s goal stood as the winner, which puts her in the lead for game winning goals in the OUA this season.

The Gaels’ strong start continued into the second half of the game with goals by Jenna Leslie, Rebecca Kim, and Cecilia Way. For Way, this was her tenth goal of the season, leaving her at second place in the OUA.

Leslie would go on to score one more insurance goal, and the Gaels picked up their second 5-0 win over the Paladins this season. The Gaels face the Laurentian Voyagers on Saturday, Oct. 19, and the Nipissing Lakers the next day in their final two games of the season.

—Alina Yusufzai

Men’s rugby shuts out RMC

The Gaels bowled over the RMC Paladins at Nixon Field in a lopsided 47-0 win.

Trevor Helgason opened the scoring for Queen’s with a try in the fourteenth minute, and Queen’s kept scoring consistently until the end of the game.

Liam Casey touched one down less than five minutes later, and then scrum half Dylan Young struck not long after. Young also had five conversions on the day.

Evan Underwood tacked one on at the end of the half to end the frame with a 26-0 Queen’s lead.

Chris Wells, James McDonald, and Liam Geddes scored tries in the second half as the Gaels ran away with the contest.

The men will host Trent for a marquee Homecoming match on Saturday at 3 p.m. at Nixon.

—Jack Rabb

Men’s soccer bests RMC

On Sunday, Oct. 13, the men’s soccer team won their final home game of the season against the RMC Paladins. The men took the game by a score of 3-0 after tying the Paladins 0-0 in their previous meeting.

The win was extra sweet since it was Seniors Day for the Gaels, with the team honouring  graduating players for their contributions in their final game at Richardson Stadium.

The Gaels had a phenomenal start against the Paladins with two goals in the first 15 minutes by rookie forward Cameron Wallace.

In the second half, Michael Chang scored his second on the season, giving the Gaels a cushiony 3-0 lead that held until the final whistle.

The Gaels head to Sudbury next weekend to face the Laurentian Voyagers in a game with playoff-seeding implications.

—Alina Yusufzai