Women’s basketball wins, men’s stumbles

Women win Tindall Invitational, men finish 1-2

Image by: Jack Rabb

The ARC played host to basketball teams from all across the country. The women excelled en route to a perfect tournament record, while the men struggled to a 1-2 record.

Women’s basketball sweeps through Tindall

The Gaels went 3-0 and won the Tindall Invitational. In solid wins over Concordia, Cape Breton, and Brock, Queen’s looked to be gelling early in the season.

On Friday, Oct. 18, the Gaels started the tournament against Concordia, winning handily by a score of 74-50. 

The game was close through the first quarter, but the Gaels dominated the second and didn’t look back. At halftime, the Gaels lead by 15.

Queen’s balanced attack—they had 45 points off the bench, and four players scored double digits—was too much for Concordia to handle.

Bridget Mulholland and Michelle Istead were especially unstoppable in their limited minutes.

The Gaels outscored Concordia throughout the second half in a controlled win. The biggest issue for the women was their free throw shooting—their field goal percentage (43.5%) was higher than their free throw percentage (40%).

In their second game, the Gaels faced off against Cape Breton. The Capers fell behind early, and at the half Queen’s was leading 38-24.

However, in the second half, the Capers came to life. After they took the lead briefly early in the fourth quarter, Queen’s rallied and regained control, and were up six with less than three minutes on the clock.  

Cape Breton stormed back and with less than a minute to go, tied the game. Fortunately for the Gaels, Julia Chadwick was feeling clutch. With 20 seconds left, she grabbed an offensive rebound and hit the go-ahead jumper.

Mulholland iced the game with a pair of free throws, and Gaels survived a scare, 76-72.

To win the tournament, Queen’s had to beat Brock. The women pulled it off, winning a tight game 61-56.

The Gaels had the game in control at half, leading by 10, but a strong third quarter from Brock cut that lead to two going into the fourth.

Some timely buckets by Megan Saftich and Emma Ritcey iced the game, and the tournament for Queen’s.

The Gaels open their regular season with a Northern road trip next weekend to take on Nipissing and Laurentian.

—Jack Rabb

Men’s basketball can’t find groove at Tindall Invitational

The men’s basketball team played their first game in the Tindall Invitational against the Ottawa Gee-Gees, suffering an 84-64 loss on Oct. 17.

The starting lineup, including returning veterans Harry Range, Bruno Chan, and Henry Van Herk, earned the Gaels an early six point lead, but ultimately the first half ended with the Gee-Gees leading the Gaels 41-32.

The game, tight in the first half, got out of hand in the second. Ottawa never relinquished their lead, and they would go on to win the tournament.

On Friday, Oct. 18, the men played their second game of three in the Tindall Invitational against the Memorial Seahawks.

The Gaels pulled ahead of the Seahawks through the first two quarters, with the scoreboard reading 32-22 at halftime.

However, in the second half, the Seahawks came back and took the lead, before the Gaels wrested it back again.

At the end of regulation, the score was knotted at 65 apiece. The game went into overtime, where the Gaels outscored the Seahawks 15 to 7, securing an 80-72 win.

On the Sunday, the men played against the Regina Cougars. The Cougars were fast out of the gate, and the Gaels could never quite catch up.

Despite outscoring Regina over the final three quarters, the 10 point deficit the Gaels were faced with coming out of the first quarter proved too much to overcome.

The Cougars won by a final score of 81-75.

—Alina Yusufzai

Men's Basketball, sports in brief, women's basketball