Varsity Clubs round-up: November edition

Squash succeeds, water polo and artistic swimming make waves

Image by: Jack Rabb
The Gaels gave fans lots to cheer for in the month of November.

Queen’s varsity clubs have continued to impress. Squash beat up on opponents in Montreal, women’s water polo had a strong showing in Ottawa, and artistic swimming looked solid at the McGill Invitational.

Women’s squash keeps dominating, men’s squash holds tight at the top

After a successful crossover tournament hosted on their home court, the Queen’s teams traveled to Ottawa to compete in the second East Sectional, hosted by the Carleton Ravens on Nov. 23.

As the reigning 2018 OUA Champions, the women’s squash team proved they’re still the team to beat as they completed yet another undefeated tournament.

The Gaels scored striking victories over the Ottawa Gee-Gees, Carleton Ravens, and McGill Martlets, closing out each game with a 7-0 victory.

The Gaels currently hold a second-place ranking in the OUA after an earlier loss against McGill in the first East Sectional left them with a 9-1 record, just shy of the University of Toronto’s 10-0 record.

However, the women currently hold the greatest number of individual wins, tallying in at a dominant 62, with only six individual losses, as opposed to U of T’s 14 losses.

Amelia Knapp currently sits in third place in the individual rankings on the season so far, holding a perfect 7-0 record.

The men’s squash team also had an extremely successful tournament, finishing the day undefeated. The men beat the Ottawa Gee-Gees and the Carleton Ravens, both by a score of 7-0.

In the closest match of the tournament, the men prevailed over the McGill Martlets with a final score of 4-3, avenging their 5-2 loss in the preceding tournament.

The men currently sit with a comfortable fourth-place team standing, holding a 7-3 record. Liam Knapp, brother of Amelia Knapp, is the highest-ranking Gael in the individual standings, securing eighth place with his spotless 6-0 record in the season so far.

The mettle of these teams will be challenged in the new year when they see multiple key players leave for winter exchange.

Women’s water polo finish just shy of podium, men heading to OUA Championships

The women’s water polo team traveled to Ottawa for the weekend of Nov. 16 to compete in the two-day National Collegiate Water Polo (NCWP) championship tournament hosted by Carleton University.

The women began their campaign with a dominant 17-3 win over the Guelph Gryphons, establishing themselves as a team to be reckoned with.

Their momentum only grew as they defeated the McMaster Marauders in a 17-4 decision.

The Gaels then found themselves facing the challenging Ottawa Gee-Gees in the semi-finals. The Gee-Gees were stingy, and the Gaels dropped the game by a final score of 7-2.

The women were forced to repeat history as they faced host Carleton Ravens in the bronze-medal match for a second year in a row. Ending with the same results as last season, the Gaels fell to Carleton 7-5 and finished fourth.

The rookie and leading scorer for the Gaels, Madeleine Bisaillon, walked away from the tournament with an NCWP All-Star nod.

The men’s water polo team looks to challenge for a gold medal as they head to Western University this weekend to compete in the OUA Championships.

Artistic swimming lands fourth place finishes, look to improve in upcoming competitions

The artistic swimming team traveled to Montreal on Nov. 16 to compete in the McGill Invitational hosted by McGill University.

Queen’s A team placed fourth in the duet/trio routine, with members Sabrina Barnes, Eva Blainey, and Meaghan Ozikizler scoring a 67.2333.

Queen’s B team finished hot on their heels, with members Hannah Bergeron, Lauren Georgiadis, and Emma Wansbrough tallying a score of 63.4333. The Queen’s teams were the only sets of trios, competing against the other schools’ duets.

The Gaels had two more fourth-place finishes, completing the novice team routine with a 46.1667. Bailee McDermott and Sage Vonkursell nabbed their fourth-place finish in the novice duet/trio routine with a score of 43.00667.

The Gaels need to make generous strides up the rankings if they have any hope of catching up to the current leader, McGill University, who came away from the weekend with a total of four medals: three golds and one silver.

Corrections

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated Madeleine Prins-Gervais recieved all-star recognition at the NCWP championship. The recognition was in fact given to Madeleine Bisaillon, who led scoring for the Gaels.

The Journal regrets the error

Gaels Athletics, Queen's Gaels