Editors' Note: Journal staff impersonated

It has come to our attention that several individuals, whose intent it was to protest a campus event, gained entrance to an Engineering Society conference by falsely claiming they were Journal reporters.

Misrepresenting oneself as a Journal staffer is an abuse of our protections under the AMS Constitution, which ensure Journal reporters’ access to campus events. We are disappointed to see members of the Queen’s community engage in behaviour that makes it more difficult for our hard-working team of reporters and photographers to do their jobs.

While we will always remain supportive of students’ rights to protest on campus, we strongly condemn leveraging the privileges of the student press to achieve this goal. 

Going forward, we would like community members to know that if someone claiming to be a Journal staffer is trying to gain access to your event without prior confirmation, ask to see their press pass, which Journal reporters carry, or ask to speak to an editor. 

To contact The Journal’s editors, email journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca.

—Meredith Wilson-Smith and Iain Sherriff-Scott
Tags: