Principal pledges community meeting to address Coronavirus party

Deane urged Queen’s community to come together

Principal Patrick Deane at an open forum earlier this semester.

Principal Patrick Deane directly addressed the recent Coronavirus-themed student party in a statement Wednesday, saying it was with “great insensitivity” that students chose hold the event.

Deane also announced a broader community meeting in response to student concerns over the party.

The event, held on Saturday, Feb. 1, was originally reported in The Journal on Monday. In his statement, Deane urged the community to come together and educate one another with empathy.

“At a time when our community is struggling with fear, misinformation and ignorance about this public health crisis, this party was justly met with outrage,” Deane said. “The University must come together and ensure we take action so that all members of our community feel supported and this health crisis does not turn against one another.”

According to Wednesday’s statement, Queen’s is currently working with the student governments and the rector to support students impacted by the event. The principal also said he’s meeting with students who are directly affected by recent events.

Tyler Macintyre, former undergraduate student trustee, resigned his post today over his attendance at the event.