Anything I can do, you can do better

Student athletes tell The Journal what they envy in their teammates

Image by: Rowan LaCroix

Every student-athlete has their own particular set of skills they had to develop to get where they are today.

Although teammates value each other’s skills, sometimes they can get a bit envious. The Journal asked Queen’s student-athletes what skill they would steal from their teammates if they could. Here are their responses.

“If I could steal a skill from a teammate, I would steal Mitch Neuert’s beach volleyball shots and hand control on the ball. That skill is super important for situations when the ball is not in the perfect spot to hit, and being able to make a change up shot and still score points for your team is really important!”

—Zac Hutcheson, Men’s volleyball

“Probably the stick-handling skill that Mason Kohn has: his ability to control the puck, get out of difficult situations, create plays and opportunities with the puck.”

—Jaden Lindo, Men’s hockey

“Landon Brickendon has a 43-inch vertical, meaning he can jump really high, dunk the ball really easily, and elevate to grab rebounds.”

—Harry Range, Men’s basketball

“I think that if I were to steal a skill from one of my teammates, it would be Jenna Leslie’s composure on the ball. She is amazing at calming the game down, and her control when she receives the ball allows her to really contemplate all of her options and choose the best one.

I, on the other hand, need to really focus on staying calm when I get the ball. At our last practice, my coach told me to take a deep breath after my first touch to shake off some of my franticness. Having great composure on the ball would also be so helpful when I find myself in scoring positions.”

—Jenna Matsukobo, Women’s soccer

“Zac [Hutcheson]’s vertical, because then I might be able to actually block someone.”

—Zane Grossinger, Men’s volleyball