JDUC redevelopment on schedule

Architects and Queen’s Physical Plant Services move to online work

JDUC redevelopment on schedule despite COVID-19.

Since the passage of a $40 fee in January, 2019, that enabled the JDUC redevelopment project to move forward, the project has been well underway for more than a year.

According to Chloe Draeger, AMS special projects officer, the revitalization is still on track despite changes due to COVID-19.

“Our collaborative work has moved online, but that has not slowed us down very much,” Draeger wrote in a statement to The Journal.

Queen’s Physical Plant Services and architects are preparing construction documents for contractors who will be in charge of the renovation, according to Draeger. “Meanwhile, we are developing the precise internal layouts and functions of AMS service and administrative spaces.”

Construction is set to commence in May, 2021, and last 22 months. Draeger expressed excitement about the work to come. “Future generations of Queen's students will get to enjoy a vibrant, accessible, and sustainable university centre that combines modern comforts with timeless stylistic features,” she said.