Board of Trustees welcomes new chair

Queen's alumna Mary Wilson Trider starts four-year term

Wilson Trider has replaced Donald Raymond as chair of the Board.

The Board of Trustees welcomed Mary Wilson Trider as its new chair on June 1.

Wilson Trider, Comm '82, an alumna of Smith School of Business and chief executive officer of Almonte General Hospital and Carleton Place & District Memorial Hospital, is the first University Council representative to have been elected as Chair of the Board. 

The University Council is one of the three governing bodies of Queen's University, alongside the Board and the Senate. Wilson Trider was first selected by the University Council to sit as one of the six representatives on the Board of Trustees in 2007.

The Board of Trustees is responsible for overall operations at the University, including overseeing financial matters, property, the appointment of vice-principals, and, in conjunction with the Senate, the appointment of the Principal.

Wilson Trider has replaced Donald Raymond as chair of the Board. Raymond, who served as a member of the Board since 2008, served a four-year term from 2016-20. Raymond will stay on to continue overseeing the Board's climate initiatives as chair of the Climate Change Action Task Force.

READ MORE: Board of Trustees clarifies its climate change endorsement

"I am honoured and humbled by the opportunity to serve my alma mater as its next Board Chair and the first Council Trustee elected to this position," Wilson Trider said in a statement. "Queen's is an institution with a rich history. I look forward to working with Principal Deane and my Board colleagues to shape the University's next chapter and ensuring Queen's continues to be viewed as one of the best universities in Canada."

An experienced healthcare executive, Wilson Trider formerly held the position of Vice-President of both Halton Healthcare Services and Markham Stouffville Hospital, and served as an industry committee member of the Ontario Hospital Association and Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. Additionally, she is a chartered accountant with KPMG and a Fellow of CPA Ontario.

At Queen's, she currently chairs the Board's Audit and Risk Committee and is a member of the Capital Assets and Finance Committee.

READ MORE: Queen’s concerned out-of-province students will avoid campus in September

Chancellor Jim Leech was responsible for leading the review and selection process for Wilson Trider, which was then followed by a nomination to the broader panel of representatives by the Board's Governing and Nominating Committee.

"Mary's appointment as Chair of the Board of Trustees is a testament to the strengths and experience she has demonstrated while a member of both the board and University Council," Chancellor Leech said in a statement. "Our trustees provide a wealth of knowledge and guidance to the university and Queen's will be well-served by Mary's strategic leadership skills."