iOS 14 proves the iPhone is far from revolutionary

The newest iPhone update’s biggest features have existed for years on Android systems

The new version of iOS comes with big changes.
This September, Apple released a major overhaul for its iOS devices with the launch of iOS 14. With it comes the age-old question: do iPhones live up to the hype?

iOS 14’s features have made the biggest aesthetic changes to the system since iOS 7 was released seven years ago. The addition of widgets and a more customizable home screen have created a hype around iPhone software that’s been absent for years. However, these “new” features aren’t all that revolutionary—widgets and customizable app icons have been features on Android devices for over a decade

On a university campus, it’s hard to go anywhere without seeing at least a handful of iPhones. As the best-selling phone in the world, it makes sense the iPhone would pop up pretty often. iPhones are so normalized that it’s become a common joke online to mock people with Android devices. 

Having the newest iPhone is also a display of wealth. If you can drop close to $1,000 on a new phone as soon as it’s released, it’s safe to say you’re doing well. But in looking at the features that are being introduced with each new update, it’s clear we need to be questioning if the culture of iPhone elitism is justified. 

While there are many legitimately valid reasons to prefer an iPhone to any kind of alternative, there’s little to suggest that other operating systems don’t have their major perks. Google’s Pixel phone has unlimited photo and video backup included in purchase, and Samsung Galaxy phones have top-of-the-line battery life.These are features iPhone users can only dream of.

The iPhone’s newest update is great for loyal users who could never imagine making the switch to another operating system, but Apple can’t rely on this base forever—eventually, its lack of innovation may catch up to them. 

Adding pinned messages and customizable home screens doesn’t feel like an innovative risk—it seems like a move that could have been made years ago without much trouble. 

New iPhones are released every two or three years, and it often feels difficult to pinpoint what makes them all that different from the previous version. More cameras being added with every release hardly feels like groundbreaking innovation. It’s been a long time since Apple felt like a real driving force in the tech world.  

When Apple created its ‘1984’ Macintosh Super Bowl ad, it committed to being a revolutionary actor in the home tech world. In 2020, it no longer feels like it's living up to that image. Going forward, it would be exciting to see something from Apple that makes the iPhone feel like more than a thousand-dollar display of wealth. 

Tags: