‘The Queen’s Journal’ vs ‘Western Gazette’: Fantasy Football series—Week Eight

Journal’s picks for start ‘em sit ‘em picks for Week Eight

Image by: Jodie Grieve
This is the second week of an ongoing ‘start ‘em

Last week’s win went to The Gazette, beating The Journal handily by around a 60-point margin and putting them up 1-0 in our weekly competition. Luck wasn’t on The Journal’s side, with its pick for tight end, Austin Hooper, suffering a case of appendicitis before game day, and the Patriots seeing their worst home loss in 22 years, giving our bench defence, the San Francisco 49ers, a bundle of points.

Like any loss, it’s time to make improvements and focus on this coming week’s competition. Below are The Journals picks for Week Eight.

Starters ($94)

Ryan Tannehill and the Tennessee Titans take on the Cincinnati Bengals this week as the Titans look to bounce back from a close loss to the still-undefeated Pittsburgh Steelers. Tannehill threw for over 200 yards, two touchdowns, and boasted a quarterback rating of 104.9. The Bengals’ defence is ranked 25 overall for the season.

Davante Adams and the Green Bay Packers take on the Minnesota Vikings this week as the Packers look to beat Minnesota once more after winning their battle in Week One 43-34. Adams had two touchdowns in that game and played 90 per cent of the offensive snaps, a percentage he only topped in last week’s win against the Texans. The Vikings defence is ranked 29 this season and should be a field day for the Packers’ offence. 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire and the Kansas City Chiefs take on the New York Jets this week as the Chiefs come off a win over the Broncos, facing a Jets team that has yet to win a game this season. Edwards-Helaire has been a consistent player for the Chiefs, averaging over five yards per carry in his last two matchups. The Jets defence is ranked 17 for the season.

Rob Gronkowski and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers take on the New York Giants this week as Tampa looks to build off back-to-back wins. Gronkowski had touchdowns in both of those games, tying him and Brady for second place in most touchdowns for a quarterback-receiver tandem, with 92 throughout their careers. Expect to see Brady looking for his favourite target this Monday against the 12ranked Giants defence.

The Buffalo Bills defence takes on the New England Patriots as New England looks to right its season after a disastrous outing against the 49ers last week. New England’s offence is ranked 27 in the league, while the Bills have a top-five pass defence and posted six sacks against the Jets in Week Seven.

Bench ($89)

Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons take on the Carolina Panthers after a narrow loss to the Detroit Lions last week. Ryan has guided the Falcons to a brutal 1-6 record and lost to the Panthers in Week Five, posting a quarterback rating of 63.6, his lowest of the season. The Panthers’ defence is ranked 23 in the league but the Falcons offence has been their own worst enemy this year.

Josh Jacobs and the Las Vegas Raiders take on the Cleveland Browns this week as Vegas looks to bounce back from a loss against Tampa Bay. Jacobs rushed only 10 times for 17 yards last game—a season-low—and played less than half of the offensive snaps. The Browns defence is ranked 14 this season.

Mike Evans and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers take on the New York Giants this week as the Buccaneers look to continue their success after a statement win against the Raiders. Evans has been targeted less frequently as the season has progressed, only having two targets last week without a touchdown.

Hunter Henry and the Los Angeles Chargers will face off against the Denver Broncos after a win against the Jaguars. In that game, Henry had his lowest catch percentage of the season, catching below 50 per cent of attempts. He has one touchdown on the season, coming in the Week Five loss against New Orleans. The Broncos defence is ranked 18 overall this season.

The Minnesota Vikings defence takes on the Green Bay Packers this week, a rematch of Week One. The Vikings lost that game, 43-34, and have a pass defence ranked 25 in the league, a serious flaw when facing Aaron Rodgers, who’s had a quarterback rating of over 100 for six of the seven previous weeks.

Fantasy Football, Queen's, the Western Gazette