ARC reopens pool change rooms, expands booking limits for gym area

Athletics adds new free weight pods and updates slate of fitness programs

The ARC has been slowly reopening its facilities since officially opening its doors Sept. 8.

As the Kingston region continues to keep COVID-19 numbers low, the Athletics and Recreation Centre (ARC) has announced further reopening measures.

On Monday, pool change rooms were opened with limited capacity and restrictions, nine new free weight areas were added, and members have increased availability at their disposal. In-person fitness programs began a new cycle on Monday as well.

Regarding reopening pool change rooms, swimmers are only able to use the facilities after swimming, as they’re expected to arrive with their swim attire under a layer of outerwear. Guests can use the change room after swimming, but showers, washrooms, sinks, hair-dryers, and lockers aren’t available for use. As is protocol in the gym area, swimmers are expected to wipe down their change area before and after each use.

All users must wear masks while they’re in the change room. 

In the fitness area, the ARC has added nine free weight activity pods due to high demand. They’re located in Studio 1 and are currently available for use.

Departing from its initial limitation of a single 50-minute session per day, members are now allowed to book a cardio and strength activity space on the same day. Athletics and Recreation noted that users are still required to exit the building after the first session to allow them to maintain cleaning protocols.

Finally, a new slate of in-person fitness programs kicked off this week. The ARC’s categories are cardio and dance, strength and cardio, and yoga and Pilates. Athletics is continuing to hold virtual fitness classes, which have been running since the beginning of the summer.