STEM and the City: Put your best face forward in 2021

Four simple, contemporary lipstick and eyeshadow pairings to bring you into the new year

Image by: Shelby Talbot
Makeup looks for any occasion.

Monocoloured eyeshadows are in—in a big way.

This is great news for those of us who have never felt comfortable in the makeup department as, unlike the intricate smoky eyes of days passed, these looks require very little commitment or technical prowess.

If you’re keen to try this trend but don’t know where to start, look no further. These four lipstick and eyeshadow pairings are guaranteed to kick off your 2021 on the right foot—or face? You get the point.

Orange shadow + orange lipstick

Orange lipstick is daunting. If executed incorrectly, your bold look can border on clown-ish. It feels counterintuitive, but the best way to soften the orangeness of this lip, for lack of a better word, is by adding more orange.

Applying a gentle shadow in a peachy hue will serve to divert some of the focus from your lips, allowing them to appear more neutral relative to their surroundings. Why not just start with a neutral lip? Well, because that would be too easy.

Try the look: Anastasia Beverly Hills Eye Shadow Singles (Colour: Burnt Orange Matte), Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Satin Lipstick Collection (Colour: 59 Melon D’Or).

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Inês Aguiar (@neseaguiar)

Brown shadow + off-pink lipstick

This understated look works for any occasion, from your first day at the office to a first date. Your features will be enhanced, but not exaggerated, allowing your winning personality—or portfolio—to take center stage.

The beauty of these colours is that they work with any skin tone. For a subdued and polished look, go for a pale pink lip with cool undertones and a soft eye. For a sultrier look, pick a warmer pink like the Charlotte Tilbury one recommended below, a bolder hue for the eye, and finish the look off with mascara and highlighter.

Try the look: Marc Jacobs Beauty O!mega Gel Powder Eyeshadow (Colour: Daddi-O! 530 matte chocolate brown), Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick Pillow Talk Collection (Colour: Pillow Talk Medium warm berry pink).

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Lisa Eldridge (@lisaeldridgemakeup)

Taupe shadow + deep red lipstick

Red lipstick will always be in style.

This season’s rouge is clean and matte. To emulate this look effectively, use either a lip liner or a lipstick brush to ensure that your application is immaculate. Pair your perfectly applied pout with a taupe shadow for an uber-modern spin.

Worried that a red lip will make you stand out in the wrong way? US Representative and seasoned red lipstick wearer, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, has some strong words to say about that: “Any attempt to make femininity trivial or unimportant is an attempt to take away my power. So I’m going to wear the red lipstick.”

Try the look: Make Up For Ever Artist Color Eye Shadow (Colour: M-549 dark taupe matte), Huda Beauty Power Bullet Matte Lipstick (Colour: El Cinco De Mayo bright and spicy red—warm toned).

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Hanna Verhees (@hannaverhees)

Blue shadow + nude lipstick

The 80s called, and they want you to know that blue eyeshadow is back.

Contrary to what you might be thinking, you don’t have to be a celebrity to pull off this daring look. The key to making blue eyes appear cool is to keep everything else natural. Take a cue from Lily Collins—fill and fluff those brows, keep your lips nude, and let your natural hair texture do its thing.

Oh, and unless you happen to work somewhere laid-back, you will probably want to save this one for cocktail hour.

Try the look: Sephora Collection Colorful Eyeshadow (Colour: 253 Surfin USA), FENTY BEAUTY Slip Shine Sheer Shiny Lipstick (Colour: 04 Makeout Break latte nude).

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Lily Collins (@lilyjcollins)

Column, Fashion, STEM & the City