February Assembly: AMS discusses revisions for Student Code of Conduct

AMS to monitor Student Choice Initiative appeal throughout transition period

Assembly met Thursday over Zoom.

AMS Assembly gathered Thursday over Zoom to discuss service reopening, University policy revisions, and the AMS transition period.

President Jared den Otter opened Assembly by reminding members of the University’s review of the Harassment and Discrimination Prevention and Response (HDPR) Policy and Student Code of Conduct. Den Otter said the HDPR policy is in its second draft of feedback review and feedback is still being accepted. 

The Student Code of Conduct is also currently taking comments and feedback until March 18.

Members of Assembly also touched on the Student Climate Experience Survey that will be sent to students this week via email.

READ MORE: Team RTZ voted next AMS executive

Alexia Henriques, vice-president (university affairs), said the survey’s aim is to garner an understanding of students’ experiences of systemic racism, exclusionary and discriminatory behaviors, and sexual violence on campus. 

The Student Climate Experience Survey is sent out once every two years, according to Henriques, with the intention of measuring changes in the campus climate over time.

Student Visibility

Undergraduate Trustee Shoshannah Bennett-Dwara announced the Advocacy Coalition has received approval from the University administration to create a mural on campus promoting the visibility of BIPOC students. 

“It’s been a long time coming,” she said about the project.

Bennett-Dwara said the project is in the early stages of development and the Advocacy Coalition is currently determining the logistics of completing the mural and looking at what barriers may exist to its completion. 

The Advocacy Coalition is currently anticipating the end date for the project to be late summer. 

AMS Transition Period

The transition period is currently underway for the 2021-22 AMS Executive. 

Following the Ford government’s recent announcement to appeal the Student Choice Initiative (SCI) in March, den Otter said the AMS will be shifting its transition period to focus on the SCI. 

READ MORE: Ford government to appeal Student Choice Initiative court ruling in March

According to den Otter, there is currently “a lot up in the air.”

“We will personally be shifting our transition now to kind of focus on the SCI more than we normally would and we’re preparing for that,” he said. “We are monitoring that situation.” 

Assembly is set to reconvene on March 25. 

AMS, AMS Assembly