Best late-night Kingston eats

Students share their go-to meals for the late hour cravings

Image by: Shelby Talbot
Kingston foods available late.

Kingston has plenty to offer in terms of delicious spots to eat. Sometimes, though, hunger strikes late at night after most restaurants have shut their doors for the evening. 

To help you find a tasty place to eat after hours, The Journal asked students to share their favourite late-night meals. 

*** 

To me, nothing beats an evening out to The Mansion with friends, especially when it’s accompanied by a platter of their Fully Loaded Nachos and a schooner of Moosehead. 

The nacho platter is big enough to share with friends—though you could also have it by yourself, I won’t judge—and it’s perfection to the tastebuds: savoury, crunchy goodness with a generous amount of melted cheese, veggies, and a bit of a kick from the jalapeño and banana peppers. 

The Mansion has comfy couches and a great vibe inside, especially when they have live music. But once the weather allows it, they open up the massive patio wrapping around the building, which is perfect for warm summer nights. In my opinion, it’s a true Kingston staple. 

—Geneviève Nolet, Staff Writer 

The fried chicken sandwich at Red House’s downtown Kingston location is sure to send you off to bed with sweet dreams and a satisfied stomach. 

Located just a brief walk from Queen’s campus, Red House is a tavern serving locally-sourced foods ranging from delicious salads to savoury sandwiches until 2 a.m. 

Their fried chicken sandwich is an unparalleled fusion of different textures and tastes that will leave you wanting more. Their super crispy chicken is placed across a dollop of sweet honey mustard with finely sliced pickles on top of their signature buttery biscuit. 

Order a side of their match-stick fries as an ideal accompaniment to the sandwich or enjoy their fresh arugula salad. 

There are truly no chicken sandwiches in the area quite like Red House’s, and with their proximity to campus and warm ambiance, it’s the perfect place to satisfy those nightly cravings. 

—Patrick Wilson-Smith, Staff Writer 

My choice for late-night Kingston eats has to be a student staple: Tommy’s. 

An atmospheric diner located right across from the Metro on Princess Street, Tommy’s serves a delicious variety of munchies, meals, and, best of all, all-day breakfast. 

Its location is so central to Kingston’s nightlife that it’s the perfect stop after a night out or, amidst current circumstances, to pick up late-night takeout just past the edge of the University District. 

You can’t go wrong with any of Tommy’s breakfast items—though it’s important to note that their hollandaise isn’t available past 5 p.m.—but my recommendation is the Fried Egg Peameal BLT with a side of homefries. 

There’s a uniquely rebellious feeling that comes with eating breakfast for dinner—the later in the evening, the better. And, really, if you’re eating eggs and bacon after midnight, I’d like to think you’re getting a head start on the day ahead. 

—Shelby Talbot, Lifestyle Editor 

Personally, whenever I eat lots of food late at night it’s a guarantee that I’ll wake up the next morning cranky and exhausted. So, instead of gravitating toward McDonalds, I usually go for a regular pearl milk tea from Sharetea. 

While it maintains shorter hours now, pre-pandemic Sharetea was often open as late as 1 a.m., and it’s not too far a walk from the student ghetto. Something about that first sugary sip and perfectly chewy tapioca just hits the spot. 

Pro-tip—if you get your drink with no ice then you not only get more drink, but if you don’t finish you can refrigerate it overnight and it still tastes pretty good the next morning. I’m super excited for next semester when there might be a Chatime on Princess & University joining the late night bubble tea gang. 

—Aysha Tabassum, Features Editor

best of kingston, Food