Kingston Police responds to Ford’s provincial order

‘Members of the Kingston Police will not be conducting random vehicle or pedestrian stops’

The Kingston Police stated they will review the new regulations before determining an appropriate response for people who don’t comply with public health measures.

Following the Government of Ontario’s announcement detailing new COVID-19 restrictions, Kingston Police responded in a press release today.

“Members of the Kingston Police will not be conducting random vehicle or pedestrian stops,” Chief of Police Antje McNeely said.

To stop the spread of COVID-19, Premier Doug Ford declared new guidelines that include a two-week extension of the current provincial order lockdown and enhanced police enforcement under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA) to restrict mobility.

The Kingston Police stated they will review the new regulations before determining an appropriate response for people who don’t comply with public health measures. In the meantime, the current enforcement response remains the same.

“We will continue with traffic enforcement, engaging with members of the public and responding to calls for service, to keep our community safe. We will continue to do so in a fair and equitable manner,” McNeely said.

“It is important to reiterate that everyone in our community has a role to play by stopping the spread and transmission of COVID-19.”

Covid-19