Mark Gerretsen pens letter to Foreign Affairs Minister on ‘violent events in the Middle East’

‘I’m looking forward to engaging with members in my riding on this matter further and will continue to advocate on their behalf’

Letter from MP Mark Gerretsen to Minister Marc Garneau

Kingston and the Islands MP Mark Gerretsen sent a letter on Jun. 22 to Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau about the “violent events in the Middle East.”

The letter, addressed to Garneau, is a result of Gerretsen’s virtual meeting with Muslim and Jewish community members on May 30 in which constituents highlighted their concerns over the human rights of Palestinians.

“The loss of human life is tragic and unacceptable. Canada must continue to respond to the humanitarian crisis in the region to ensure innocent lives are protected,” Gerretsen wrote.

“Canada’s investment of $25 million to support Palestinians in the region is a good first step, however the human suffering continues and so there is more work to be done.”

Gerretsen added that he looks forward to continuing to engage with and advocate for Muslim and Jewish constituents.

“I trust that you will give careful review and consideration to the concerns that have been brought forward by community members.”

Attached to Gerretsen’s letter is a list of demands provided by his constituents.

“My constituents provided me a list of Calls to Action for the Government of Canada, which I have enclosed for your review and consideration. Some of these items include ceasing arms and weapons sales to the state of Israel, cancelling Canada’s $36 million drone contract with Elbit Systems.”

The attached calls to action were signed by “concerned citizens of Kingston and the Islands.”

Mark Gerretsen, Palestine