Residence move-in staggered over four-day period for second year in a row

Mobile vaccine clinic at Richardson Stadium saw at least 50 students on first move in-day

Approximately 50 students received vaccines from Queen’s pop-up clinic on the first day.  

For the second year in a row, the residence move-in is staggered over a four-day period to accommodate a safe environment amidst the pandemic.

First-year students are moving into residence Sept. 1 through 4. Whereas only 1,800 students were accepted into residence last year at a residence capacity of 50 per cent, the university is welcoming just over 4,000 students into residence buildings this year at a capacity of 93 per cent, according to Residence Don Oliver Flis.

“Students have the opportunity to sign up for different slots for different days to avoid crowding and those concerns,” Flis said in an interview with The Journal.

“The move-in is staggered to avoid over-crowding inside and outside the residence buildings.”

Each residence has a capped number of students that can move in during a given time each day.

According to Flis, all students, family members and helpers moving into residence this week are required to wear masks inside the residence buildings and complete a self-assessment for
COVID-19 using the Queen’s SeQure app.

There are signs inside all residence buildings to help movers navigate residence halls and maintain social distancing to ensure move-in is “as safe as possible.”

Students moving into residence are also required to disclose their vaccine status upon move-in via Queen’s COVID-19 Vaccination Status Declaration form. Students who aren’t vaccinated are required to disclose their plan to do so by Sept. 7.

READ MORE: Queen’s to require COVID-19 vaccination for Fall 2021

“Queen’s residences are adhering to the disclosure policy requirements [for declaring vaccination status],” Flis said.

“[The vaccine mandate] is an additional measure that’s helping keep students, family and helpers safe as we go through move into residence and moving through the year,” Flis added.

Students moving into residence this week who are unvaccinated can receive vaccines at a mobile pop-up clinic at Richardson Stadium.

According to clinic organizer Greg Borschneck, MSc ’21, as of 1 p.m. on Sept. 1, approximately 50 students had accessed the clinic to receive both first and second doses of their COVID-19 vaccine.

The clinic is offering both Pfizer-BioNtech and Moderna vaccines. Recipients can choose which vaccine they would like to receive.

“It’s very important to make sure we’re getting this done now, before and as we look to go back to in-person classes,” Borschneck said in an interview with The Journal.

“We want to make sure we do this right the first time and to get everyone on board [with getting vaccinated] is really critical.”

In addition to requiring all students to be vaccinated, students in residence will be required to wear masks at all times in residence buildings, with the exception of student bedrooms. There are also capacity limits on common rooms.

Flis added that there are hopes for more in-person residence programming as public health guidelines ease.

“It remains to be seen [what kind of programming can be done] and public health guidelines kind of determine the direction things take on that front, but we are hoping to increase in-person programming with the appropriate measure as the year goes on,” he said.

“Based on the planning by the University, by Housing and Ancillary, and by everyone at Queen’s Residences, I do feel confident that it’s a safe process and first year students will be able to move in and have a safe residence experience.”

Tags: