Queen’s Gaels defeat UofT Varsity Blues in game three, now 3-0

Trouncing the Varsity Blues 35-11, Queen’s now sits atop OUA Ranks

Rasheed Tucker, pictured above, ran for a total of 194 yards in Saturday's game against the Varsity Blues
Supplied by Athletics and Recreation

The Queen’s Gaels defeated the University of Toronto (UofT) Varsity Blues on Saturday, 35-11.

With their victory at Varsity Stadium, the Gaels improve to 3-0 on the season and remain on top of the OAU Eastern Conference standings.

After a win over the uOttawa Gee-Gees in their last outing, the Queen’s Gaels faced off against a Varsity Blues team coming off a bye week—a week scheduled off for the team. Once again, the Gaels kicked off to open the game, with kicker Nick Liberatore delivering the ball deep into Toronto territory.

From the game's opening drive, the Blues’ offense couldn’t find their form as quarterback Clay Sequeira was called for a time count violation. However, Gaels quarterback James Keenan fared no better, throwing his first interception of the season after Queen’s regained possession.

The Gaels finally found their footing on the ensuing play as Queen’s defensive back Ethan Martin intercepted Sequeira and ran 61 yards for the touchdown to open the scoreboard.

Down early, Toronto countered with a fake punt attempt that gained significant yardage before the ball carrier fumbled, allowing Queen’s to recover. Following multiple strong carries by running back Rasheed Tucker, the Gaels entered the red zone for the first time— though they ultimately settled for a field goal after Keenan threw several incompletions to the corner of the endzone.

Regaining possession and trailing behind, Sequeira and the Varsity Blues returned with an aerial attack. They entered the red zone near the end of the quarter, before the offense missed a field goal attempt and settled for a single point.

The Gaels turned once more to Tucker to start their opening drive of the second quarter as he brought Queen’s into scoring position. After an offsides penalty against Toronto put the Gaels at first and goal, Keenan completed a short pass to wide receiver Richard Burton for the touchdown.

Following the Gaels impressive offensive start to the half, the defence made some plays. On the ensuing snap, a sack by Queen’s defensive lineman Van Wishart pinned the Toronto offense deep in its own territory, causing the Varsity Blues to decide to concede a safety to the Gaels voluntarily.

Later in the quarter, Wishart and fellow lineman Eric Johnson forced UofT’s Sequeira to fumble, which Wishart recovered to give the Gaels possession. The Gaels found the endzone once more, with Tucker rushing for the touchdown.

Nearing the end of the half, the Varsity Blues’ offense finally found some momentum and capitalized on a long pass down the sideline for the score. Toronto regained possession after a two-and-out by Queen’s and scored again on a 35-yard field goal attempt before Keenan kneeled to end the half.

In the third quarter, both teams traded punts before Rasheed Tucker rejuvenated the Gaels’ offense. After Toronto was given yet another penalty for pass interference, the Gaels entered the red zone, and kicker Nick Liberatore hit another field goal.

Entering the fourth quarter, Sequeira looked to shrink the Gaels’ lead by throwing a rapid aerial attack that culminated in a deep shot to the end zone. Queen’s defensive back Thompson McCallum ultimately broke up the play, however, preventing the rally attempt.

After a turnover on downs by the Varsity Blues, Tucker had another rushing touchdown for Queen’s, putting the finishing touches on a dominant, 194-yard performance.

With ten minutes left in the fourth quarter, an injury to a Toronto player required the intervention of medical personnel, causing the game to conclude early.

The Gaels will play the Guelph Gryphons next under the lights of Richardson Stadium on Friday night. Kickoff will be at 8:00 p.m.

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca.

When commenting, be considerate and respectful of writers and fellow commenters. Try to stay on topic. Spam and comments that are hateful or discriminatory will be deleted. Our full commenting policy can be read here.