Sports in Brief: Week eight

Every Gaels game from the last week, all in one article

Highlighting this week's Brief is the men's football team

Varsity Sports

Men’s Football

The Men’s Football team capped off their postseason with an impressive 41-14 win over the Carleton Ravens in the OUA playoff Quarterfinal Game on Nov. 6. This weekend, they face the uOttawa Gee-Gees in the OUA Eastern Conference finals. Kick-off will be at 1 p.m. on Nov. 13 at Richardson Stadium.

Rugby

The Men’s Rugby team fell to Guelph Gryphons 28-37 in the OUA Championship finals on Nov. 6, marking their only defeat of the year so far. Despite their loss, they will return to the pitch on Nov. 24 when they host the Canadian University Men’s Rugby Championship.

The Women’s Rugby team also dropped their OUA final matchup to Guelph on Saturday, losing to the Gryphons 23-32. Hosting the U Sports Championships from Nov. 10-14, however, they will return to Nixon Field on Wednesday to face the UBC Thunderbirds for the tournament’s quarterfinal match. Kick-off will be at 7:30 p.m.

Soccer

The Queen’s Women’s Soccer team defeated the number one OUA East ranked uOttawa Gee-Gees on Saturday. In doing so, they advance to the OUA championship final, a match to be played against the Western Mustangs in London on Nov. 13. With last week’s win, the Gaels also qualified for the U Sports Championship, which will be played later this month.

Basketball

The Men’s Basketball team opened their regular season with a two-game sweep of the X University Rams on Nov. 5and 7. Their next game will be held at Queen’s on Nov. 13, where they’ll face off against the University of Toronto (UofT) Varsity Blues at 2:30 PM.

The Women’s Basketball team kicked off their season with a 65-68 loss to the X University Rams on Friday. They’ll hit the hardwood again at 5 p.m. on Nov. 13, also facing the UofT Varsity Blues in the ARC’s main gym.

Volleyball

The Men’s Volleyball team opened their season at home with a doubleheader sweep of X University, routing the Rams once on Friday and Saturday apiece. They’ll travel to Toronto this weekend to face the Varsity Blues for a single outing on Saturday.

The Women’s Volleyball team also started their season off on a high note, sweeping their doubleheader of the X University Rams on the weekend. They also travel to Toronto this weekend for a match against UofT on Nov. 13.

Cross Country

The Men’s and Women’s Cross-Country teams finished fourth overall at last weekend’s OUA Championships, and in doing so, qualified for the U Sports Cross Country Championships to be held on Nov. 20 in Quebec City.

Hockey

The Men’s Hockey team opened their season with two straight victories over the RMC Paladins last week. This weekend, they travel to North Bay to face the Nippissing Lakers on Friday and Sunday.

The Women’s Hockey squad started off their season 0-2 last week after dropping two straight games against the Nipissing Lakers at home. This weekend, they look to bounce back in a doubleheader against the UofT Varsity Blues.

Varsity Clubs

Water Polo

The Men’s Water Polo team faced off against the Carleton Ravens last week and fell to the Ottawa outfit 15-8. This weekend, they travel up to the nation’s capital to face off against the uOttawa Gee-Gees on Nov. 13.

Men’s Lacrosse

The Men’s Lacrosse season came to an end on Saturday, with the Gaels eliminated by the Brock Badgers 17-10 at the Baggataway Cup, Men’s Varsity Lacrosse’s national Championship. They close the books on the 2021 season with a 5-3 record.

sports in brief